M34 2 1/2 ton truck conversion

I have started another conversion I have wanted to do for a while. I am backdating the AFV Club M35A1(Nancy Guntruck) truck to an M34 2 1/2 ton truck. The M34 was the original truck in the M44 series of trucks which were designed and built after WWII to replace the CCKW series of trucks. The M34 had a lower bed without a spacer between the frame and bed. It also had six single, larger tires. They are the same size as an M54, 11x20. To make all this work, the bed sides had cut-outs to accommodate the larger wheels and lower bed.

To build it, I started with the AFV Club M35A1 and cut the spacer off the frame for the bed. I also added about 1/8 inch to the frame behind the fuel tank so the bed is centered on the rear wheels. I also added resin copies of the AFV Club M54A2 front brake drums.

IMG_2692

The bed is from the old Revell M34 kit. It is actually a pretty nice kit, very usable, but needs some TLC to make it better. I sanded down all the knock-out pin marks that were all over the exterior, added a third leg and a couple angled supports on each seat, and filled all the mounting holes. I also swapped out the undersized tailgate with one from the M35 kit. I had to narrow it about 2mm to fit between the bed sides. I also added the rear lights from the M35A1 to the underside rear of the bed and used the M35A1 mud guards on it as well.

IMG_2691

I filled in and adjusted the M35A1 exhaust as well. The muffler had a large void on the top, which may be visible from some angles. I filled it with square-stock styrene and filler putty. I also cut down the height of the rear just below the horizontal by about 4mm to account for the lower bed. Lastly, I added a flat mount for it as well.

The rest of it is straight from the M35A1 kit. I did fill in the air cleaner hole on the right side panel and the hole where the exhaust comes through the right fender.

IMG_2687
IMG_2688
IMG_2689
IMG_2690

As mentioned above, the wheels/tires are the larger 11x20 as seen on M54s. I will be using the Def Model M54 Sagged Front Wheel set.

They look pretty good just placed where they go.
IMG_2693

I am at a stopping point here. I am waiting on the Tamiya U.S. 2 1/2ton 6x6 Cargo Truck Accessory Parts Set so I can add the correct gun ring to it. The M34 still used the WWII CCKW style gun ring.

So more to come after I receive the gun ring.

11 Likes

Interesting. I started a similar thread about a year ago. I took a different track though - I wanted to see how much of the Monogram kit I could retain. I may have to resurrect it. It’s about 80% done.

2 Likes

take care the wheels!
I think aren’t correct! look dimension and number of bolts

1 Like

The size is correct. The bolt pattern may be off , I’ll take a look, but may be close enough.

It is off. Looking closer, they are the standard M35 wheel with 6 bolts, just with 11.00x20 tires on them as opposed to 9.00x20 tires. I need to get 4 more M35 front wheels. Anyone have them? I have rubber 11.00x20 tires from the original AFV Club M54 Long Tom kit. They fit the M35 wheels fine, with a little sanding.

1 Like

this actually came out very well. I have the Tamiya after market kit somewhere, but never knew Revel did the M34.
gary

1 Like

I think it was originally a Monogram kit from the '70s (or earlier?).

It has been reboxed by Revell a few times as well.

3 Likes

Didn’t Revell do their own along with a howitzer ?
May have been box scale?
The original Monogram boxing must have been from the 60’s as I built it more than once as a boy .

1 Like

Revell did a box-scale M35 that scaled out to about 1/40th scale.

Some boxings did come with an M2 105mm howitzer.

2 Likes

Yep - here is the original boxing …

2 Likes

Great idea to combine the old Monogram bed with the AFV chassis & cab for a better detailed modern kit of the M34

1 Like

4 Likes

And what about the headlights? The M34 had them in the bottom position (just like the early M35); can you substitute the Monogram/Revell radiator grille and surroundings?
(Damn nitpickers…)

1 Like

As to the lights, the later M34s had them on top as well, so no issue. Some examples.

3 Likes

And…if you use single rear rim flipped?

1 Like

Yup, we are thinking alike. I think I have solved the wheel issue. I made resin copies of the centers of the front wheels. I will sand and fit them later today to the inverted outer rear wheels and see how they turn out.

2 Likes

Let me do some digging and I might be able to help with the front wheels. You just need the rims, correct? Oops you beat my post by a minute. Any way let me know if you need me to look. Wayne

1 Like

Thanks Wayne. I think I am good but will let you know if they don’t work.

1 Like

The scale wasn’t arbitrary. It is a “compromise” scale, halfway between the 1/32 of armor models and the 1/48 of aircraft. There were quite few kits made by multiple companies.

This was to appeal to all those clamoring for commonality between their model subjects so that they all could be displayed together, similarly to the people today who want planes in 1/35 and suitable for a “diorama”.

It wasn’t popular then, either.

KL

3 Likes

self made man…

1 Like

don’t think I’ve ever seen one
glt

1 Like