M35 truck family trailer gladhands

Unfortunately, AFV Club haven’t included gladhands with their M35A2 and M49A2C kits, so I bought some from Perfect Scale Modellbau (# 35083). And now I don’t know where exactly to install them and where the corresponding air lines should exit the chassis rails. Somewhere next to the tail lights, for sure - but where, and do the gladhands bend towards the frame, like the ones AFV included in their M54 kit, or do the lines bend? I haven’t been able to find a decent illustration, not in TM 9-2320-361-10 nor at primeportal or elsewhere, so HELP, please!

2 Likes

Thank you, Robin, I had seen these, but they don’t answer my questions, like do the things go through the tail light mounting braces, or under them?

EDIT: Robin beat me to it. You should be set now.

They are basically in the same place as on the M54 and attach to the frame in the same manner. They are only on the rear though. You can barely see it in the below pic w/the cord for the rear flap attached to/laying on it; poking out behind the taillight.

Better pic.

I woould say the pipe/hose leading to the gladhand from somewhere under the truck goes through the rear light bracket

@HeavyArty the pictures I found didn’t provide the whole answer though …

Grainy still image from this video:

1 Like

So AFV overlooked not only the gladhands, but a number of holes in frame rails and tail light brackets, too!
Thank you very much for providing me patterns for additional work! But this is a hobby, right?

Recipe for stress free modelling: Stay well clear of references, internet searches and know-it-alls.
Most importantly of all:Do. Not. Read. Reviews. Ever. :wink:
Break any of these simple rules and you could be in very deep complications, searching for detailed information on minuscule details, adding details using powerful magnifiers to be able to see the microscopic parts.

3 Likes

Yeah, true, and I break all of those rules all of the time - that’s my way of procrastinating the dreaded painting.

Do what I do when it comes to painting.
Use a single colour scheme even if the real thing had a camo-pattern.
Life is too short to obsess over the painting.
Pristine, freshly painted (before the camo goes on), clean, no wear&tear.
Enjoy the build, simplest possible paint scheme and then into the display cabinet.
Why should I spend a lot of time and effort on something I don’t enjoy all that much?
For me the painting and decals are just the last little step to get a finished product.
For me the painting should be less than 10% of the total time spent on a model, not the
other way around.

YMMV. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not me! I’ve started to hate painting when I built my first plastic model, and I’m suffering from PTED (posttraumatic embitterment disorder) ever since that working trunk hinge of my Dodge WC 57 was frozen by paint:

Excessive super detailing anytime - painting hardly at gunpoint.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry. I couldn’t resist laughing,
that was just way too much tragic comedy in one go
When Ambition met Reality:
Ambition vs Reality

Frozen by paint.
The landlord for my then girfriends (now wife) apartment decided that the windows needed painting. He hired a painting contractor to do the job, the schmuck with the brush painted
the windows. A few days later my girlfriend wanted to clean the windows but couldn’t get
them open and called me to come help her. I had to use a knife to cut through the paint which
had glued the window sash to the frame …

1 Like

As to the M35 series trucks not having front mounted glad hands I offer this thought:

The glad hands quite possibly are mounted behind the front bumper to protect them as shown in the photos below. (Seen on lunch break at the local Wendy’s)

Until seeing this it just never occurred to me that military vehicles might have air brake fixtures mounted in the front. I ask myself why? For Recovery Towing that’s why! The tow truck supplies line air so the towed vehicle’s brakes still function durning the recovery haul back to the motor pool.

For what it is worth in my research for the build, even the WWII Mack NO had front mounted glad hands.

Gino you might like this little detail on the HEMTT Recovery:

A massive vice on a pull out shelf, tucked in around the standard vehicle winch. Not sure if this detail is included in the model.

The M35 only has rear gladhands. It is most likely due to the vehicle size/weight. The M35 is not really heavy enough to need to use its brakes when being recovered/towed. The above M900 series (5 ton) and the Mack NO (7 ton) are too heavy to tow w/out using their brakes.

As you can see from the M35 TM, only rear gladhands are noted, # 4 Trailer Brake Connectors.

1 Like

OK. Makes sense. I just thought I had something that might help with the question at “hand”. I guess I missed the mark.

Interesting feature on the M984 Wrecker. It looks like it is on the kit, at least in the CAD. I don’t know for sure as I don’t have it, nor plan to get it.

Hi Peter,
So you bought these from PSM?

They don’t look right to me. I CADded and 3D printed mine based on many reference photos and should be a lot more accurate.

Check out more photos: 1:35th Air Hose Connections - Glad Hands - #15 by James_Lee

2 Likes

Not sure what the PSM ones are supposed to be, but they don’t look right to me either. I can attest that James’ version is awesome. I bought a bunch of them to use on trucks that don’t have them.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I bought,and I have the same doubts as everybody else. At present, I’ve cut apart one of those with the valve handle and re-cemented it to look like the ones on the M4 HST shown here:

I guess that’ll be good enough to show everybody that I’ve thought of adding the things. I already went the same route on my M4 model:

Peter

2 Likes

The m35 family dont have air {spring] brake that need constant air pressure to release brake while being towed

1 Like