M4A3E8 research+build

Awesome work! Beautiful build, look forward to seeing it completed.

1 Like

This build is coming along beautifully. Forgive me if this has already been covered in an earlier post, but does the kit come with a jig for the PE light guards?

It does not. I used the PE jig from my Meng VVSS A3.

1 Like

Happy Holidays! As I mentioned in my other Sherman build log, I was stuck in the 90’s. Taking advantage of the free time, I am about 95% finished with this build. The tracks were a breeze once I got a solid grip on the construction and hit a nice groove. I still need to work on the figures more, add the BII/OVM and one the tracks are on for good, add the return rollers. I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to join the tracks together once they were all painted up so I joined them and removed the return rollers and that allows me to pull the tracks off for painting. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Looking great as well! No such thing as too many Shermans! :grin:

1 Like

Also, here’s a question for you guys,

My source M4 has a 30 cal that looks to be attached to the commanders vision cupola. I rewatched the video above and saw a second tank with this modification.

How did they do this exactly?

I also noticed on two of the E8’s, including my source photo, the 50 cal mount has been moved up closer to the search light. I am assuming to facilitate access to the gun without having to completely remove ones self from the tank.

I’m not sure exactly but in this video Ian and the Chieftain talk about and fire all the guns on a Sherman, and if I’m not wrong, I’m pretty sure they discuss the 30 cal mod.

1 Like

Solid link Panzer! They do cover the addition of the .30 cal but it looks to be mounted a bit differently in the river crossing above. That’s a good video too, seeing that gun shoot is amazing!

1 Like

Glad you found that video a little helpful! I would recommend checking out the Chieftains YouTube channel. He covers tons of tank history, plus hes a modeler!

1 Like

I watch his videos regularly. It’s fantastic to climb around the vehicles and access them the way he does. I do wish he would upgrade his mic equipment though. A few of his videos are nearly unwatchable due to the poor audio.

1 Like

True, the one for me I wish his audio was better on was the M1A2 video because he was a former tanker and had some interesting stories.

1 Like

This looks amazing and incredible amount of work put into it. I hope to get there one day (and the patience to boot!)