M52 tractor and fuel trailer

Ordered a pack from Blamazon. Seems you can blend with Future or varnish.

Looking forward to this.

It’s worth a try (blending them) but I have found that to blend them or overspray them with clear varnish or a fixative just knocks the color punch of the pastels down about 80-90%.

I spray the model with a very dry (can held far away) of Tamiya Matte Clear (TS-80 rattle can) and once dry I quite literally SCRUB the pigments into the tooth of this matte clear. After that no other over spray is necessary, The pigments are then ALMOST permanent.

FYI ~ That tarp on the rear deck was spray painted with the same base color as the tank itself but I wanted it to contrast with the tank color. This “Color Shift” was accomplished totally with using the oil pastels.

(Apologies for showing these two recent builds YET AGAIN but they do illustrate the point I am trying to make here.)

1 Like

There is a Nato 3-color pattern for the M1062 here, but the MERDC reference I found, TB 43-0147, doesn’t list a pattern for the M1062.

And while it’s not useful for camouflage patterns, TB-9-2330-384-14&P has a number of illustrations starting at page 8-11 that detail the various fittings on the trailer.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. @HeavyArty pointed out upthread that MERDC camo was discontinued before the M1062 came into service.

I will wait for Real Model’s M969 in 3D and hopefully try MERDC on that.

Looking for images of tankers in ODS. I’m going to try some weathering on my M1062 trailer but can’t find much on the web. These two are all I’ve got so far. The Oshkosh, (from a later period),looks to have spent more time in the sand than M52 and trailer would have.

Can anyone provide any more images to guide me on the “where, how much” of weathering my latest build?

2 Likes

Finished at last. 5 months on this project. Weathering involved washes with Tamiya desert/Dark yellow. Fuel spills courtesy of Vallejo, which seems to have solved the silvering on the main Flammable decal.

My most complicated build to date, shortening the donor M54 frame, sawing bigger tanker into a smaller one. Aftermarket wheels all round.

It was alot of fun - and now it’s done!

12 Likes

It came out looking great. Nice job on it.

3 Likes

Looks great! You can solve a lot of issues with the judicious application of weathering. :grin:

Thanks. I see weathering as a whole new dimension to my hobbying.

1 Like

Looks wonderful, great modifications and more than a little elbow-grease.

Thanks Jim, been a long haul. And all of it at around 30mph. :smirk:

Really looks great! Vehicles like this are the unsung heroes of the Army!

1 Like

WOw. Amazing work there. Reminds me of many a fueler convoy that went through CSC Scania in Iraq during my time in the sandbox.

1 Like

I remember a dish soap ad on UK TV years ago. “ Now hands that judicious/ do dishes can feel soft as your face, when you use Fairy Liquid”.

That ages me. :smile:

Very cool, great job

1 Like

That’s a great looking model.

Cheers,
Ralph

Thanks Ralph, just need to correct the trailer wheels and gladhands.

Wheels now correct, added one of HL’s working light to the truck d/s mirror bracket.

As I mentioned upthread, my first big chop job and nervous moments aside, it was great fun and a satisfying end result.