M60/A1/A3 in IDF Service Reference Thread

Thank you. Definitely enjoying the thread! A++

2 Likes

I think a 6b could be on the cards soon… I do like the look of it.

1 Like

The ‘Gal’ FCS was the forerunner of the ‘Baz’ installed in late Merkava Mk.3s. Some reserve units equipped with Magach 6 Bets later received the ‘Baz’ FCS. These were re-designated as Magach 6 Bet ‘Baz’.

The Magach 6 Mem (M) was equipped with the ‘Nahal Oz’ FCS, the forerunner of the ‘Lomedet’ that debuted on the Merkava Mk.2. The Magach 7 Gimel (C) was also equipped with ‘Nahal Oz’.

I think the Magach 7 Alef (A) had the same FCS as the regular (non-‘Gal’) 6 Bet.

1 Like

The gun is basically the same as in the Merkava Mk.1/2, the FCS and the protection are both at least a generation behind.

1 Like

Since I have the Meng Gal Batash would you be interested in presenting the build of that kit too now?

Would you like to see a comparison of the kitbash to the Meng kit?
  • Yes, show/compare both builds in parallel
  • No, one build at a time

0 voters

The turret.

Although a completely new tooling from Academy the turret requires some work to fit and sit properly on the AFV club hull. The rear lower part of the turret has completely wrong geometry plus one needs to add about 1mm of plastic card to the turret ring so as to raise it and keep clear of the aircleaners when rotating.

The Legend turret basket needs some work to fit properly but it is a superbly detailed part and a must have. I opted not to use the Urdan cupola from Legend and use the Academy piece, which is pretty decent. A suggestion for those using the Legend detail set is too glue the plastic steps that exist on the armor modules as per the kit instructions and then add the photoetch parts from Legend. This helps shape the pe properly and align them correctly without having to fill the gaps left by omitting the plastic pieces. Some sanding required to at the rear face of the armor modules.

Another problem area is the mantlet and the armor piece protecting it. I had to scratchbuild the mounts and add some missing details underneath the armor part. I also had trouble adjusting the part at the correct position, since the Legend resin mantlet has two slots for receiving the plastic part that dont align correctly.

The general fit of the turret parts is excellent and the engineering from Academy is really nice.

The barrel is a corrected casting by me, but I cannot recall the original maker of the after market item I used. Magic Models have released some really nice barrels for IDF vehicles, if I recall correctly they are offering one too.

5 Likes

If one wants to go the extra mile with the turret, he can remove and use all the armor modules on the AFV Club turret, but it is way more work than correcting the Academy shape. The Legend resin basket can be converted to fit the AFV Club kit too (take that in mind if you are planning to build a 6B Gal or a 6B from AFV Club)

Some more reference photos to help understand the comments above.

5 Likes

I have been working on the MEng kit review for some time now, as the forum bot reminded me

Slowly GIFs | Tenor

I will explain some details I have noticed on Gal Batash vehicles that will help me differentiate the two builds.

From now on I will refer to the vehicle as 6BGB to save me some time typing.

Tracks
Photos show 6BGB having Merkava 1,2 style tracks and at some point using Batash tracks, same as those used on the Merkava 2D and the Achzarit.

And of course there are photos showing a mix of track links

magach6bgalbatash04_zps800878b6

Gun Mantlet
Another variation over time is the gun mantlet armor block. When the 6BGB came into service there was no provision for a .50 cal gun on the mantlet

Later on the .50 cal was added and the mantlet armor block received antiskid

Academy includes both mantlet options in their kit, whilst Meng only the later one with the .50 cal.

Wheels.
Both types of wheels can be seen in use, similar to the rest of the m60 family of vehicles

My Academy/AFV Club frankenstein build will depict a vehicle with the later details (since I used Batash tracks and the .50 cal mantlet option) and I will try to build the Meng kit as a vehicle from the first years of the 6BGB operational use, since it includes early Merkava tracks. I will see if I can modify the Meng mantlet to an ealier one, either by using the Academy equivalent part or by removing the detail.

6 Likes

Meng kit hull assembly.

I have assemble the hull completely out of the box, without adding or correcting any kid of detail. The plastic of the kit is somewhat soft for my liking. My biggest issue and complaint is the suspension assembly.

The torsion bars are a separate part from the suspension arms and are supposed to be glued into place. The attachment point is semicircular but the parts do not fit snuggly, although it does not matter for the alignment in the end although it just makes it harder for someone to do the alignment correctly and it also does not enable the gluing of the suspension arms to the hull in place, since it is not a very good fit. I had to spend a couple of hours measuring and adjusting my suspension height and position and I have to say I am not completely pleased with the end result.

In general I would say I did not like the main M60 parts, especially when compared to their AFV Club equivalents, but the IDF specific parts are very nice and way better than the Academy counterparts. I have yet to do some minor reference check to see if minor details are missing, like boltheads and such.

I found the wheels of the kit to be 0.5mm smaller in diameter than the AFV Club wheels. Meng has designed them pretty cleverly and there is no middle seam to sand after removing the parts from the sprue, although you need to clean four attachment points on each rim and tire.

The sprockets are nicely shaped and include a polycap in the center so that they can be rotated but I decided to glue them in place since they have too much play when placed on the transmission parts.

I have yet to assemble the side skirts and the track.

Here are some photos with the two hulls side by side, both needed some detailing.

The biggest difference is the belly armor, where Academy got the shape and size really wrong (and the fact that I had the fine idea of making the hole for the escape hatch makes it even worse because why would one make a hole to the armor plate that is supposed to protect the crew from an explosion under the hull… :thinking: :thinking: :clown_face: :clown_face:)

3 Likes

Does the real one have a hole cut in it? I have never seen any photos of the belly, so I have no idea what it looks like.
Ken

Fun to watch your builds.

1 Like

No there is no hole. It was stupid of me to make the hole. That is what I am saying, what is the purpose of putting the belly armor on if you have a hole exactly under where the driver is seated… I should have thought of that

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

I thought that is what you meant, makes sense, but I don’t know much detail information on Israeli vehicles. So I also learned something from your mistake.
The question now is can you fix the hole? Or will you just leave it.
Ken

YARN | You saw nothing. | The Big Bang Theory (2007 ...

I think when I am in a good mood I will patch it up with some plastic and putty. I also need to modify the rear mounting points.

1 Like

Just saw this thread today and all I can say is wow. I love it. Very informative and I am going to bookmark it for future reference as I have Meng 1/35 M60A1 Magach 6B Gal. Well, to be honest, I just fell in I love with their box art and wanted to have it. :grin:

But, now I been eyeing the AFV 1/35 M60A1 Magach 6B Gal as it looks cool also.

but, is the AFV worth the price?
Hmmmm…

1 Like

Great thread! Thank you.

1 Like

Good question.

The Meng kit is more accurate in IDF specific detail than the AFV Club one.

The biggest downsides of the AFV Club kit are:

The way the track links are attacked to the sprue

the Gal specific parts are provided in resin

The biggest downside of the Meng kit is the suspension.

I had both kits but sold the AFV Club one.

Since you have the Meng kit do not bother with the AFV Club one. I do not mean that it is a bad kit in any way but the Meng offering is a better option, although I have to admit that the Meng soft plastic is proving to be a PITA now that I am assembling the track for the Gal Batash.

2 Likes

Nikos, whats the Meng 1/35 M60A1 Magach 6B Gal like for OOB ? I have always liked it … ( as well as the Merkava Mk3 Late LIC :see_no_evil:

Almost perfect, you only need stowage, some wires for the .50 cal on the mantlet and maybe some wireropes.

2 Likes