M60 "Slick" in 1/35. Another Frankentank project

In between frustrations of doing CADs and 3D printing - mainly surrounding M48 and M60 tank parts, I’ve decided to use various left-over parts from Tamiya M48A3, ESCI M60A1, Dragon M48, and Tamiya M60A3 to make an M60 “Slick”, as well as some custom 3D prints. This is going to be another long-term project…
First, just for the challenge, decided to convert the Tamiya M48A3 turret to M60’s turret by adding more bulge. I’m adding some “bones” first using Evergreen rods then add and sculpt the shape using Magic Sculpt compound after.
Tedious so far but fun. :smiley:

7 Likes

Count me in for this James.Do like my M48s and M60s.Nice to see you using leftovers from a few kits.The 3D printing sounds interesting.What are you making for m60s?.
Great start.
Richard

1 Like

I’m watching…

1 Like

Richard,
Just made an AN/VSS-1 searchlight CAD. For M48 and M60s, I 3D printed many upgrade parts: road wheels, sprockets, suspension arms and bumpers, grab handles - just name a few. There are more. Was doing M60A1/3 bustle rack basket and had to pause b/c it got too frustrating.

2 Likes

I’m going to watch here myself. I have a slick started using the DEF turret and an AFV Club hull, so the timing couldn’t be better.

2 Likes

Had to look up M60 Slick so I think I understand what that is now :grin:

1 Like

Hopefully your efforts will appease the modeling gods and Takom or AFV Club will release a M60. What are they waiting for.

2 Likes

What did you find as the origin of that nickname? I wasn’t too sure myself.

1 Like

Kevin, there is rumor that Takom is working on M60 nothing but that’s unconfirmed. They Love expensive Kits (“I Love Kits” brand) punks are supposedly working on an OG M48, too but who knows? Rumors currently.
Not that I’ll stop this project…

2 Likes

I don’t know. Just learned that it’s an M60 with an M48 turret :thinking:

1 Like

If anyone can bring the M60A0 to life, it’s Takom. :+1:

Speaking f Takom; how hard would it be to mod the turret from their M48A5 and droop it no their M60A1 hull?

Their M48 kits have tons of extra parts to create several variants, so it shouldn’t be too hard.

1 Like

Hi Reynier,
Modifying any M48 tank turret to M60 turret is going to require some tedious work - which I started above. The main work is trying to get that rear of the turret to have the extended steep shape (I don’t know why the extended space b/c at first I thought it was to accommodate the 105mm gun of M60 but M48A5s (generally, A3s retrofitted with the 105mm gun) retained the same round turret shape.

Pictures are worth thousand words. Takom M48A5 turret - notice the round back:

The M60 turret (Dragon kit) - see the angular cut in the rear (from Gino’s review in Armorama):

6 Likes

5ounds great James.The Esci and italeri m60a1s are great for extra detailing and i love tinkering with plastic card and strip.I havent the skill levels to use Takom kits.I bought the m60a1s and a3s so got to use them.The suspension on these oldies just need better bumper stops and tweaking the first road wheel and idler mount.Im sure Takom and Afv will do the slick m60.
Watching along with interest with Russ etc.
Happy modelling from Richard

2 Likes

Aside from the turret difference, the front return roller has to be moved when converting to the “slick”, in addition to deleting the #2 shock and mount…
Richard: here’s what I did to use the DEF turret on the AFV Club hull:
IMG_4049 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
The white is .030" card stock, easy enough to do.
James: I’ve thought several times about converting a spare M48 turret, I just can’t imaging a major like Takom of AFV Club doing the slick. In my dream world it would be a great kit for Tamiya to do, but that’s just me. :grin:

4 Likes

Hi Russel, never say never. AFV Club most likely won’t. At the rate Takom is cranking out new kits, my hope is on Takom. :slight_smile: I don’t expect Tamiya to pull it off b/c they tend to recycle their old crappy molds. I am watching the progress of your build, too. I just could not shell out $50 to buy the DEF conversion set when I can do it on my own or even attempt to CAD and 3D print it.
Takom, are you watching? :smiley:
Baby got back~! How can you deny the beauty? :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi Russ.
Looks a good fix to use the Afv club hull.Im not sure what i will do with my DEF m60 turret as its undersized.Might end up using my Dragon Idf m60 to get a slick.Will have to get replacement mantlet and gun as the mantlet is off their m48 kit and is overscale and looks pretty bad.The gun is very small so i shall get Def replacement mantlet and gun off e.bay in U.k.I saw the Takom Brave tiger going fairly cheap so might pick one up soon.
Richard

Getting ready for some sanding and magic sculpt adding.

6 Likes

Academy’s Magach 7C turret can’t be used?

1 Like

Yes, it can. You have to fill some attachment points and mounting holes, but it is a good M60 turret.

1 Like

Thats a rather good idea Gary.

1 Like