M60 Tank Reference

More M60 imagery - These are American M60A1 tanks during REFORGER (REturn of FORces to GERmany) exercises.

M60A1 tanks (from the 1st Armored Division) during REFORGER 82 “Carbine Fortress”. You can see the tanks sporting AN/VSS-3 searchlights.

Another M60A1 rolling through a German village. Looks like it’s assigned to the 8th infantry Division, but the armored Brigade it is assigned to is not known to me.

More M60A1s, all fitted with AN/VSS-1(V)1 infrared searchlights and Hoffman tank fire simulators.

M60A3 during REFORGER 85.

More M60A3s from REFORGER 85; with field-applied snow camo.

M60A3 from 2-68th Armor, 8th Infantry Division, crossing a bridge erected by the 130th Engineer Bn. during REFORGER 83.

1 Like

And for the heart of the metal beast. the Continental AVDS1790 engine.

Four stroke 12-cylinder, Air-cooled, supercharged diesel engine, 1790 cu. in. displacement, doing about 1000 horsepower.

These engines were retrofitted on earlier M48A5 and used on the M88, as well as fitted into British Centurion tanks used by both Sweden and Israel, who also used them on their Merkava 1 through 3 series of tanks.

4 Likes

Reynier,

They look like AN/VSS-1 or 2 to me, not the smaller VSS-3.

yeah, the big ones are the AN/VSS-1(V)1 Infrared searchlight.

1 Like

Yup, like the one I’ve just CADded: 3D prints and CADs Part 2 - by petition2God - #678 by Petition2God

1 Like

It will look great since most of the time, I e seen those searchlights covered up.

1 Like

A few pictures I took when I was with the 3rd ACR in El Paso, '83 & '84.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Interesting - mounting a .50 caliber MG on the bore evacuator.

The M2 on the barrel is a telfire IIRC, used to save on ammo on some of the early tables.

3 Likes

Makes sense - Thow a few tracer rounds on it to see trajectory, instead of burning through several rounds of M457 ammo. :+1:

I knew I had a search light picture here somewhere…

3 Likes

I like how it shows the mounting bracket and the power cord.

I was a modeler back then, too. I took a lot of these pictures with scratch building in mind. I was a scout, not a tanker. But who doesnt love tanks?

2 Likes

Totally agree. I was a supply clerk with a mechanized infantry unit, and I did a lot of modeling in those days. Going to the field gives you a lot of opportunities to get good reference pictures in the field, rather than just go to the motor pool and take pictures.

One of the coolest things I’ve ever done in my life was when we rail moved our unit when I was in the 3/8 Cav in Mannheim. The whole thing blew my mind. It turns out you cannot neutral steer a 55 ton vehicle on a wooden bed flatcar, so to load the vehicles, we had to drive them down the entire length of the train. As you drove a tank from one car to another, the flatcar would lift up into the air (look carefully at the picture below - you can see one lifting), it was totally freaky. I found a picture of it online. Oh, and because the train had low priority on West Germany’s busy rail network, it took the unit a day and a half to get to our destination. We partied in sleeper cars, getting drunk. It was a total blast.
Here’s a picture of it. These guys are driving down the entire length of the train, until every car is full. These guys are moving away from us (with ground guides). The tie downs are just hanging off the tanks.

2 Likes

The last image of the loading sequence with the MASSTER camo shows the loading ramp & queu. Post 16.

True, but from my experience, it only works up to about 1.500m. Beyond that the ballistics are so different, that you might miss a tank sized target even if the .50 sits right on it.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s only meant for short ranged targets.

How was the weapon loaded/fired?