M60 Tank Reference

I need to build this

Why no smoke grenade launchers on the tanks?

1 Like

Early M60A1s did not have the smoke grenade launchers. They were parts of the RISE upgrades.

In the photos the tanks have the mounts but not the launchers, that is why I was asking. It seems odd to me.

Judging by the air cleaners, the conduit for the launchers and the reinforced lower turret cheeks I think these vehicles are RISE tanks.

Hello Ron,

I remember two (2) of the lower 7th Army M60’s from recruiting ads that would be in our school magazines in the 70’s.

They really piqued my interest because of the colors and wanting to know more about the pattern. I was an avid fan of the Tamiya -A1 back then.

I remember seeing several vehicles from an artillery unit in this pattern in the FRG during 1982.

Respectfully,

Allen

1 Like

If I remember right, Lucky, that is the VSS-3. We had the older VSS-1 mounted on our M60’s.

1 Like

Hello GTD, I agree with you. That is a nice photograph just waiting to be modeled. I am thinking that this is an initial RISE tank. It looks like the mounting plate for the launcher assembly (M239?) is fixed and the early power cable is prominent. It also looks like the mounting bolts for the grenade reloads are there as well, just no box.

There could be a number of reasons that it is not fully mounted, but, I suspect that they ran out of time before they left for the field.

Respectfully,

Allen

I too was a model builder back in the 80’s while in the army. Can’t tell you how many room inspections came to an end when the CSM or Battalion Commander walked in and zeroed in on one of my models, “did you build that?” Was how every inspection started :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

There’s a mixture in here. Many of the desert grey M60s are A1s, but during my time with the 3rd ACR they were upgraded to rise. I’m a scout, not a tanker so I was just ignoring it for the most part. I do have a guy I keep in touch with that was a tanker in this unit, so I could ask him. My understanding is they were not fully RISE, but got most of the upgrades. This was 1983 and 84.

3 Likes

I think it was a single shot thing, or maybe a little magazine? I asked someone once, but forgot. In the picture the guy standing next to it is reloading it, I think. Thats my platoon sergeant, incidentally.

1 Like

Noticed that you guys “borrowed” a T-62 from somewhere…

2 Likes

yup, and a pt76 there. We were ‘op for’, I think it was Graf.

3 Likes

NOICE!

Back in the states, we had to deal with VISMODS at NTC. American vehicles that were made to look like Soviet AFVs, mostly old M551s and M113s with the random Humvee/BRDM-2 mockup

2 Likes

I remember those vismods - we had a few here and there in my state side unit, too. I really should have taken more pictures.

3 Likes

Hello Kenai,

I had similar experiences. They even allowed me to work on a few kits while on CQ so we could use them for training.

Old Lucky13 has been posting some nice pictures, eh?

Respectfully,
Allen

2 Likes

Solution for increasing the fresh air supply for the crew compartment…

At least you get a feel for the armor thickness.

2 Likes