M60A1 or A3 found in the wild?

Noticed an M60 near the local high school. Drove by for a closer look today. Modern armor is interesting but I have little reference. Thought this might make a good reference for doing a Takom M60 kit since it’s local at some point.

Is this an M60A1 or A3 found in the wild? I’m thinking A3 due to the thermal sleeve. What would that camo scheme be called? Or is that just high school rattle can to keep rust at bay?

1 Like

That’s an A3. The barrel thermal sleeve and armored flap over the LASD range finder in the right side turret upticks bulge are recognition features.

As for the paint, it looks like somebody was trying to do a NATO CARC scheme… just not very well.

1 Like

Kinda surprised the tow chain and headlights are still on it.

Somebody must have missed the tow cable at DRMO… unless it was perhaps unserviceable.

god, i wish we had a tank outside OUR high school.
lucky…!
Cheers!
L

3 Likes

Any area that I should focus on taking additional pictures?

The M60A3 has been sitting there for over 12 years. This was the first time I stopped and looked.

The paint seems to have held up pretty well

Lots of these in MN

Interesting combination of a very early M60 or M60A1 hull as seen by the small tiedown points on hull side and a later turret with the reinforced chin undercut. Wonder where and when she was rebuilt as M60A3?

Reinforced chin ? I thought it was the area around the turret ring that was thickened between early & later models of the M60A1 as a result of service with the IDF during YKW .

The change to the casting happened well before 1973.

KL

If the OP would give us a location or check the front left tow lug or the flat spot on the left rear hull side by the engine deck for a serial number we could tell. Axxxx was converted at Anniston, Mxxxx was converted at Mainz.

KL

@KurtLaughlin Kurt,
That M60A3 is located at the Indiana National Guard on 3614 Maple Ave, Terre Haute, IN.

Maybe able to visit and take additional pictures tomorrow.

Good timing to revist the tank as this arrived via UPS today.

2 Likes

Have some more pics to add later tonight…with the wind it was too cold to get a lot of pics. Teaser.

1 Like

This is VERY ANNOYING, I can only upload 5 pictures at a time despite being level 3 and visiting site 470+ days in a row etc. Previously could up load 15+

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

If you want to identify the tank and the converting facility, you’ll need the stampings from these areas:

M60 ID 2

KL

2 Likes

Each side has a different track adjusting mechanism.