M7 Forward Repair System - FRS

The one on the FRS looks like an Oshkosh HEMTT crane to me, not the one on the M1001.

2 Likes

I agree.

Yes itā€™s the same crane thatā€™s on a standard hemtt cargo but it does not have a high idol so itā€™s rated lower

@18bravo Thanks for the photo walk arounds. They will be very helpful!

Iā€™d like to share a link with pics from the 2 CAV.

There you can find some nice pics of the M7 FRS.

I am very interested in the FRS.
So Iā€™m just gathering some info to see if itā€™s doable. Maybe you can help me with that. I am looking for the following parts, possibly in 3D printing:

• Cummins diesel generator
  • air compressor
  • air reservoir (80 gallons)

Maybe someone has rough dimensions they can provide.

Another model colleague (Hans-Hermann) from Germany started it, but I donā€™t know if he finished it, I havenā€™t read anything from him for a long time.

I read in a TM that the total weight is 10.7 tons, so it could be possible for an M1120??

It is possible but not recommended. When we picked up our first FRS, we were told that the PLS M1075 was the vehicle to use and that you could cause severe damage lifing a FRS with an M1120. I think it can be done but the risks are multiplied.

Files sent!

Hello Rob.

Arrived. Thanks a lot for this. The pictures are really very helpful. But I canā€™t say yet if I dare to build it.
But like patton said:

ā€œA Good Plan, Violently Executed Now, Is Better Than a Perfect Plan Next Week.ā€

Weā€™ll see.

Andreas

I can only speculate, I donā€™t have the exact knowledge. The 2nd CAV stationed here in Germany only uses the M1120A4, formerly the M1120A2. Maybe equipment has been removed to make it lighter or the trucks have a higher load capacity.
As a model, I would enter the race with the M1120A2 and the M7 FRS.

Damn, that is a fancy set-up, wish we had that sort of thing when I was in. When I joined, this was our forward repair set-up.

Those two tent frames in the background. Those tents would be dismantled, transported to the field, and set up again; it took a couple hours to do. Company and Battalion maintenance would operate from there. Unfortunately, our base was a bit ā€œprimitive,ā€ so even in the motorpool they worked from there.
Ken

1 Like

Yes, sir the FRS with a SATS trailer and a contact truck and you have everything to fix everything we were pretty spoiled.

You were stationed in Germany Sir? Hopefully you had a great time!

Not Germany it would have been nice though I did Korea.

1 Like

Now Iā€™m one step further.
I have ordered additional plastic sheet and profiles (including a sheet of checker plate).
I take the crane from Trumpeterā€™s M984A2 kit, itā€™s the best choice. The remaining parts and leftovers from an M1120 CHU results in an M1120 LHS.
Ordering the sprues for the crane from hobbydna was more expensive than a complete M984 kit. (Trumpeter has discontinued its spare part service)

A big question mark still remains with the air compressor and the reservoir.

The flatrack where I can get it is also pending.

Andreas

2 Likes

You can order the flatrack sprue (F) from Italeri out of their M1120 (6525). It was only about 10 Euros to the US.

Canā€™t carry rounds and powder on same truckā€¦

Can and did in combat, OIF 1

1 Like

Routinely carried projos and powder on the same vehicle.

It is common and called a complete round package. The idea is that if one truck of only 1 part (powder) is blown up, you will not be able to fire the rounds. By using complete round packages, if one flatrack is destroyed, you can still get the rest of your rounds and fire them.