M7 Forward Repair System - FRS

A ninety degree V twin in that scale will be impossible to find. Not even motorcycle engines will get you close. You can scratch build it of course. Maybe bogart two cylinders from a 1/32 radial engine. There should be plenty of folks who have replaced them with resin. I’ve replaced C-47 engines in 1/48. They would be too small for your purposes though. Even though it is 1/48, the compressor from the old Monogram Cletrac might actually be close, if close is what you’re going for. The cylinders are not 90 degrees, but you can fix that.

Before I switched from 13B to 11B I was in A 1/9 FA 2nd BDE 3ID. Switched because MOS was over strength. Before reclassed most E-4’s went to Service Batt. SVC 60 was my truck and we never had both on or PLS’s. The AHA folks always put rounds on different trucks from powder. Primers even had to go in a trailer pulled by a Humvee…It was the same when I was in 214BDE at Sill.

Thank you gentlemen.
It’s really a big challenge. I’ll do without the interior for now. The compressor is indeed going to be difficult, maybe over time I’ll come up with something. The first delivery of material will arrive tomorrow. I first take the flatrack from the M1120 kit, but it has already been reordered. @18bravo The pictures are really very helpful.

My take:
Everybody gets to be right. :slight_smile:
When I was going through the school at Ft. Sill in '98 they had the same policy. I even said the exact same thing in an older post when a guy was working up a load for his 5 ton - maybe on the archived Armorama.
I’ve done a lot of shooting over the years with weapons of every type. The last time I took an ammo handler class at Fort Carson around 2014(?) same thing. No mixing. And AHA folks are Nazis at Carson. (poor Nazis, never get a break) :roll_eyes:
And I’ve post video of me shooting the M777 and M119 at Fort McCoy a few years ago. Separate trucks delivered everything. I was there.
Different post may have different policies over a span of many years, but in combat all of that goes out the window. After all, the track carries all three components inside, and it does not spontaneously combust.
No one to tell you not to rest your M4 on the magazine (always a bogus statement)
And no one to tell you to keep your weapon on safe at all times, or to only drive 5mph when passing troops. You guys get the idea.

I agree, stateside, it never happens. Ammo procedures stateside and in peacetime are definitely different than in combat.

After collecting pictures and information, more material has now arrived. It goes on step by step.

3 Likes

Very nice. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I’m sure it will be awesome. Good luck on it.

Thank you Gino.
I’m not that optimistic, let’s see how it develops.

I had an idea about the compressor motor what about 1/72 or smaller airplane radial engine cylinders I think they might work if you have the scratch build skills (I know I don’t)

Thank you. I have to see. The compressor is the last thing, it will definitely not be like the original.

Yes, keep it until last. I’ll see if I can find this again at Fort Carson and take better photos of the compressor motor for you.
Of course if you build the FSRN you don’t have to worry about that motor at all.

1 Like

Thank you!

since this seems to be a maintenance thread I was wondering if anybody has seen the contact truck shelter for any of the iterations of the contact truck (1097/1152/CUCV)

I took a run at creating the FRS in 1/35 scale. I made a couple big mistakes but overall I am reasonably happy with the product. I did butcher a HEMMT Wrecker for a lot of parts along with the crane. The base skid is a modified Accurate Armor kit. All other items come from all over the web unfortunately I did a poor job of documenting where everything came from.
hope everyone digs it., happy modeling

11 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

That looks really nice. Great job on it.

2 Likes

Holy crap, that’s nice! Great job

2 Likes

Whoa!!

2 Likes

Absolutely nice! Great job!

2 Likes

Wow! Absolutely outstanding scratchbuilding. Excellent job.

1 Like