M790 EL Pershing II missile MGM-31C w/ M1001 Tractor build

On to the platform frames

This part wasn’t bad, once I figured out the orientation of the hinge halves.

Work platform temporarily attached to the EL in the folded/up position

With one section folded down

Work platform folded down position

This is just hanging off the end of the EL with friction holding in place. I left off the part shown below because I wasn’t sure if it would interfere with the platform. I’m pretty sure now this will act as a stop and hold it he platform more horizontal to the EL.

All this is only temporary at this point and probably won’t be attached until after paint. This is getting really unwieldy to handle and there’s still a bunch of small parts I’ve left off (handles etc) because I’m sure they wouldn’t survive the build.

8 Likes

Next up, the missile, itself.

The only thing that’s slide molded is the G&CA, the guidance section.

I’m open to suggestions and instruction how to glue these halves together without screwing up the fine details.

This isn’t a main gun barrel that I can sand to death to get the seams out of……fuselage halves are why I haven’t built aircraft since the 80s….

Any help would be appreciated.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting your build and the modifications to get it into firing position. I intend to do the same thing. Now, off to the hobby shop!

2 Likes

Hey, I always dig your artillery builds.

My favorite New Hampshire vendor has been out of this kit for awhile.

Good on you that you still have a local shop you can go to.

We haven’t had a real hobby shop in Northern Virginia since Piper Hobbies closed years and years ago. NOVA guys will remember that place.

2 Likes

Al, just glue them together. Then fill the seams with Mr. Surfacer. Allow to dry for an hour, then remove excess with a cotton bud wet with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. This will take down the high spots and remove excess without effecting surface detail at all. Repeat until seams are gone.

6 Likes

Thanks. Thats exactly the kind of advice what I was looking for. :+1:

4 Likes

No problem, man. That’s what we’re here for.

3 Likes

No glue yet, mock up.

This is gonna be a monster.

12 Likes

Impressive. The missile looks great.

2 Likes

Thanks. I haven’t worked up the courage to glue the missile together yet, although if pretty much snapped together. There’s a bit of tape holding the 1st/2nd stage together, but other than that, gravity and friction and some magnets are holding everything in place.

3 Likes

Thats an impressive mock up Al and very well detailed by the looks of it thus far. These I love Kits kits look pretty nice all in all … terrific work mate … and yeah, its going to be a whopper :+1:

2 Likes

Nice build. I have always liked it. 1/32 Martin Marietta Pershing 1A kit I bid on it many many years ago if I remember right it went for well over $100.00 + shipping x exchange rate, at that time it was to much money for me to to spend on a model, with two children and a wife at home.

Cheers,
Ralph

2 Likes

Thanks Ralph. In the early-mid 90s I saw one for sale at a model show in Maryland and couldn’t afford the $250 the vendor wanted for it.

@Johnnych01 my only previous I :heart: Kit build M65 280mm howitzer back in 2020 (another “Grail” kit) and it was a pretty easy build, other than the size of it. It took a lot of work to get all the paint in all the nooks and crannies….

They’re really no different than Hobby Boss/Trumpeter kits. The instructions are identical. I know HB has haters, but I like ‘em.

12 Likes

I have the Atomic Canon. One by Renwal 1/32 and one from Adams 1/40 plus Corporal Missile Rewell 1/40 and two Teracruzer with Mace Missile Revel1/32 scale one built by Renwal.
I wanted to buy the Atomic Canon by I love kit, but it was to expensive in Canadian dollars with kit + shipping + exchange.

Cheers,
Ralph

3 Likes

Got the missile together. Attached the guidance, war head and radar sections together, but I won’t attach them to the missile until after paint.

From the TM:

The Pershing II used the W85 variable warhead with yields of 5 to 80 kilitons.

The Pershing 1 and 1B used the W50 war head which had yields of 60, 200 or 400 kilotons.

In 1988 the Army withdrew all Pershing’s and support systems from Europe. Aside from 15 museum pieces, the Army cut up all the launchers and static burned and crushed the boosters.

In 1991 Luftwaffe withdrew all of their Pershing 1A systems from its inventory, even though they weren’t covered by the INF treaty.

The treaty did not cover the Pershing’s W85 war heads, which were re-manufactured into B61-10 gravity bombs after they were shipped back to the US.

The Army recycled the Pershing guidance systems in Hera missiles, which it used as target drones during the development of the THAAD and Patriot missile systems.

This information and $1.75 will buy you a cup of coffee at the 7-11.

9 Likes

I’ve forgotten to comment: great work and very helpful, should I ever get one (I’ve still the M65 cannon unbuilt, to my shame). I do so love these Cold War nukes - which sounds strange now I’ve written it down(!).

There was a Luftwaffe Pershing site near where we used to undertake our annual military tests (Arsbeck), and on one memorable occasion we glimpsed one through the pines, being run up and tested; very atmospheric and even chilling - if you knew what you were looking at.

4 Likes

Actually Al I’ll have that cup of coffee and enjoy this interesting information. That whole passage warms my tax-paying heart that it doesn’t read, “The Army spent 500 million deactivating the W85 warheads, 1.2 billion developing the B61-10 gravity bomb, and 1.5 billion on the new Hera missile…”

3 Likes

And we haven’t even begun to discuss all of the other second and third generation tactical nuclear weapons that the US Army had to remove and from Europe and decommission after INF was enacted in 1988.

Lance missiles, and all of the 155mm, 8 inch and 175mm artillery rounds were included.

I never knew US Army Lance missiles only used .75 and 1.25 kiloton warheads. No conventional war heads were ever intended to be used except in training.

The IDF’s Lance systems were the only issued systems intended for use with conventional war heads.

Anyhow, missile and launcher are ready for paint.

Moving on to the M1001.

The missle and launcher had a higher sprue count…

9 Likes

Looks great. The truck should build up well. Trumpeter (I :heart: Kit, Hobby Boss, Merrit, etc.) does trucks really well in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree, when it comes to 8 wheeled trucks, nobody beats Trumpeter.

2 Likes