M901, take 2

Thanks for that SP. The info and pics are a great help.

You did great work on that.

Denimo

1 Like

Thanks Denimo. I still do need to get some bumper codes on there one of these days… :thinking:

This was one of my tracks, E-12. With my squadmate/roommate lounging against his duffle bag up top in spring 1985.

5 Likes

Looks like a prime candidate for a Golden Memory @Stikpusher :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Johnny. I think that I’ll do a few more things like add the bumper codes and our old 10th Inf. Roman X on the side, then post my ITV over in the Golden Memories area.

2 Likes

Glad somebody actually noticed that.

1 Like

Hi SP. Ive put the spare track links where they should be and added an M60 on the (moved) mount. It’s a very tight squeeze bringing the launcher back for loading, but it looks plumb…
Going to try and do something with the launcher front end but dont have the skills to take this very far.

I’m missing the smoke launchers and wonder if you have any suggestions? Ive got other M113’s to build but dont want to chase my tail for parts…

Is there anything in the a/m?

Also, any pics, advice on the rear of the launcher and gear stowage?

1 Like

I took the smoke launchers off an Academy 113 kit. Some 113s had them in the 80’s, but not all. However, all 901s were supposed to have the smoke grenade launchers. I don’t know of AM sources for them, but with all the resin and 3-D printed stuff now available, I’ll bet those are also to be found.

Crew stowage was usually on the top deck between the loading side armor and edge of the deck. There was only four of us, so that was plenty of room in the track.

1 Like

My latest, Italeri’s M901 with modifications suggested by Carlos. I tried some weathering using a sponge.

IMG_3590

5 Likes

Looks good. Nice job on the weathering/chipping.

1 Like

That turned out looking pretty damn good! Much better than what comes in the box.

1 Like

Thanks Gino and Carlos. I appreciate your comments and Ive decided to go back to that Chapparal and apart from correcting the uniforms and missile colors, I’ll give it some chipping/weathering treatment.

1 Like

That looks really good!
I love anything based on the M113 chassis!

1 Like

M901s in U.S. service didn’t have external fuel tanks.

2 Likes

Hi Carlos

Just heard on here that M901’s didnt use the external fuel tanks.

Does that tie-in with your time on them?

Just want to check before I strip them off.

Cheers

Denimo

1 Like

Gary is correct. I hadn’t noticed them when I looked earlier. The M901 ITOW did not have them. The later M981 FIST-V, which is almost identical to an M901 ITOW since it was built from them, had external fuel tanks. Other than the M981 FIST-V (which was still an M113A2 chassis), no US M113A2s had the external fuel tanks. The external fuel tanks are a feature of the M113A3 upgrade in US use.

M901 ITOW

M981 FIST-V

1 Like

What, you don’t believe me? A little research would have made you aware of that.

No offense Gary. You’re quite right, I should have done more research on this and bigger fool me for following the kit’s instructions.

The 3 post/4 post discussion on M939 gun platforms is another example of different opinions, based on alot or less than alot of knowledge.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

1 Like

Upon looking closer, I see another small issue. Italeri molded the blackout drive light upside down. The 1/2 moon-shaped hood should have the rounded part at the top, not the bottom. If you cut off the light and rotate it 180 degrees, you will be good.

It should look like this.

2 Likes

Hi Gino

Stupidly, I reversed the position of the shade/cover on that part in my kit.

It was already molded the right way up as per your picture. (Talk about blind faith)

Now time to reposition the shade/cover!

…along with removing those external fuel tanks on the same build and sorting out the missiles and crew uniforms on the Chaparral.

1 Like

Thanks Bud.

I like the M113 range too. Apart from this and the Chaparral, Ive stashed the AFV M548 cargo wagon,the Tamiya M106 mortar-porter and their M113 desert version. (Should have bought the Academy version, but that might still happen)

Ive still got to pick up the M577 and I’d be interested in any aftermarket variants used in ODS.

Thanks again for your comment.

2 Likes