M901, take 2

Correct, any 901 that I ever saw never had the external fuel cells, only the standard 113 internal fuel cell. So you’ll need to add the fuel cap cover, because the kit does not come with one.
One other point I will add is the 60 mount, it does not have a long goose neck between the pintle and the mount on the rail. It plugs right in like in this photo

3 Likes

Here’s a good view of the 60 locked into stowed position.

Notice that there is a U shaped rail around the lower corner of the butt.

4 Likes

And if anybody wonders why the odd stowage position, it’s because when the launcher is moved into reload position, it will crush the 60 if it’s not locked into its’ stowed position. I’ve seen it happen, not pretty for the gunner who is signed for the 60 from the armorer.

Loading position

4 Likes

Thanks Carlos, those pics are a great help. Was that curved bracket locked around the ass end of the 60?

Back to the bench later!

1 Like

The curved bracket was more of a catch pocket for the butt of the 60. Here is a better photo of it, empty.

I haven’t been on an ITV since late 1987, so my memory is fuzzy now on the exact locking mechanism. I want to say that it was on the pintle, some sort of spring loaded latch. I’ll have a peek thru my photo album later and see if I have any photos that have that area from other angles.

4 Likes

Here’s a photo I took of the track I was on at NTC in June 1985. It gives a better frontal view of the erected launcher and the 60 locked in place.

Notice that we also taped up the service drive lights.

4 Likes

Great pic and info Carlos, much appreciated.

1 Like

Hey Carlos

Ive made the other corrections to the M901 but I think ive still got too much metal between the 60 and the mounting bracket.

I want to add that butt retainer but cant get the gun close enough to the deck as it sits now.

Your views?

Thanks

Denimo

2 Likes

I agree. I’m not sure what the kit mount is supposed to be, but the actual one looked like this.

1 Like

Thanks Gino, I can see where Ive gone wrong. The longer (trimmed down) vertical post included in a 60 mount from the spares box doesn’t feature on the M901.

Back to the bench.

1 Like

Also, the gun needs to turn about 180* and should point in the opposite direction. The butt catch is not on the deck, but part of the turret so it traverses as part of the turret. Look at the earlier photos that I posted for details of it. It should be just in front of the vision block below the slide rail skate.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Ive got the post at the right height now and will mount the gun later.

1 Like

All modifications made including taped-over lights, sheild on light corrected, M60 to other side with scratchbuilt butt holder for it.

If that gun is in the wrong place, its fingers in my ears and singing “La La La” loudly for me!

1 Like

Looks much better. Great job on the corrections. One last tip. The two TOW tubes sticking out the rear of the launcher head should be dark green.

d66e3903728678ecb0ed7f7dea9d87bbd84b6b21_2_375x500

1 Like

Thanks Gino, appreciate your kind words.

NATO or olive or somewhere in between?

1 Like

More towards NATO green.

1 Like

Fine job on repositioning the 60. The TOW rounds should be OD like in that photo. The end cap rings are a green anodized metal, probably aluminum. Also the commanders periscope behind the drivers hatch should be the same color as the rest of the vehicle. Just the top portion rotated 360* via a little crank handle below the eyepiece.

1 Like

Thanks Carlos, I was pretty dumb with the 60’s position but your advice was really helpful. I’ll take care of the TOW ends and the 'scope tomorrow.

Great help, much appreciated.

1 Like

IMG_3662

It’s done. It’s damn done.

5 Likes

Woohoo! :+1:t3:

1 Like