M978A4 HEMTT Fuel Truck (Former M983A4 build)

Had the grandkids and kids here the last couple weeks, so not much modeling time. It was lots of fun though. They left last weekend and I got back to the M978A4.

I have completed the cab detail painting. I used kit and leftover decals for most of the details. The gauges are from a 1/32 aircraft instruments set.

IMG_2513
IMG_2512

I modified the Italeri seat base by adding a large spring under it to raise it a bit and made the two straps that allow it to move out of left over PE frets.

IMG_2514

I also finished the pump compartment that goes on the rear. I painted it w/NATO Green overall, then picked out details with red, white, black, and aluminum. I added the gauges from another aircraft set and some date plates from leftover sheets.

IMG_2518
IMG_2523
IMG_2517

Next up is to close it all up and paint it overall. I haven’t decided if it will be sand or NATO Camo. I am leaning toward sand as lining up the multi-colored stencils on the camo is a PITA. We shall see.

9 Likes

Very nicely done :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Johnny. It has been a really fun build so far.

1 Like

I have just about completed the M978A4. I painted it with Krylon Ivory spray paint. I also used decals from the Italeri M978A2 kit, plus a lot of common stencils I made myself using computer decal paper. All 8 wheels sit on the ground too!

Here it is so far.
IMG_2528
IMG_2527
IMG_2524
IMG_2526
IMG_2529

Some detail shots.
IMG_2533
IMG_2530
IMG_2531
IMG_2532
IMG_2535
IMG_2536

I added a strap and Djiti Prod. ratchet strap mechanism to the spare tire mount.
IMG_2534

In the back, I opened up the pump area and added a hose to the Pro Art dispensing handle and placed it in a drip pan.
IMG_2525

You can also see the A4 suspension parts from the rear here.
IMG_2537

Ew, may have to redo the rear light blackout lines here. Amazing what you see under a macro lens.

Next up is weathering.

9 Likes

Beautiful Gino, right off the showroom floor. Your finish looks excellent and the stenciling is great. Love all the detail in the rear compartment.

Wow, looks great Gino :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

Thanks gents. It has been a fun build so far.

That won’t last for long. Weathering is next. It will look slightly used and abused.

4 Likes

Great work Gino, looks really beautiful.

Andreas

1 Like

That looks fantastic…

1 Like

Thanks gentlemen. Still plugging away at weathering.

1 Like

The M978A4 is done.

I weathered it with a couple earthy-brown colored washes and a sandy wash. I then dry-brushed selectively with a different sandy color. Lastly, I used Tamiya smoke for the spilled fuel and hydraulic fluid stains.

Here it is.
IMG_2543
IMG_2542
IMG_2539
IMG_2546
IMG_2540

Some close ups.
IMG_2544
IMG_2541
IMG_2547
IMG_2548
IMG_2552

I also added the cable for the self-recovery winch, along with a clevis at the end.
IMG_2551

It was a fun and rewarding build. I really enjoyed it. Again, this build shows how you can combine parts from the excellent Trumpeter HEMMT kits with parts from the mediocre Italeri HEMMTs to get a really nice end product of just about any HEMTT version. I might just have another HEMTT idea waiting in the wings…we shall see.

11 Likes

Truly inspiring.
Especially as I’m about to tentatively launch myself into the fascinating HEMTT world (scale models…)

1 Like

Really outstanding Gino. Excellent detailing and markings. Fantastic model.

2 Likes

Great (and interesting) build Gino, it looks great, really nice to see it built

Nick

1 Like

Thanks Gents. It was a fun and rewarding build. I really like how it turned out.

1 Like

It turned out very well. Really awesome build. Thank you!

Andreas

1 Like

Yeap, great finish … Another great 8 wheeler :+1:

1 Like

Thanks guys. Glad you like it as well.

1 Like

As always excellent scratch building and finishes.

Cheers,

Ralph

1 Like

Thanks Ralph.

1 Like