M981 fistv

The solution to the cupola problem is to get an M26/M27 cupola from a Takom M114A1/M114A1E1.

1 Like

Like this?

I must have the wrong model?

The M114 cupola appears to be a similar design to the M901/M981. Of course it does not have the mount for the hammerhead, nor the MG skate rail. But the basic shape looks similar.

Hey Carlos, is the standard hammerhead in the Academy kit the correct size?

I don’t have measurements, so I can’t comment there. But the lines and proportions look correct.

So, what we’re talking about is the cupola being marginally too small. The TOW launcher appears, with some enhancement, accurate (incl. size-wise).

So its down to these deficiencies and rendering the M981’s (or donor) hull etc accurate.

Is that a reasonable understanding of the situation folks?

1 Like

Pretty much. To me, the turret base size is not really an issue. I would just go with the Academy M981 FISTV or Italeri M901 ITV kits and add details to them.

1 Like

I know what PMS is. I was married for 7 years…

1 Like

Great news Gino. Thats the sort of understanding I like! So, with the Academy M981 enroute, along with Eduard’s detailing kit and some care and attention I should end up with something that doesn’t look like “Homer’s bird feeder”.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. That $200C (plus a set of AFV Club tracks) :wink:doesnt seem quite so bad now.

James, I appreciate your kind offer, but I’ll save your skills for another day!

1 Like

So I got curious as to how different the cupola sizes are between the Takom M114 kit and Academy FISTV kit. Pulled out my FISTV kit built a couple of decades ago to compare with the Takom parts:
Sand color = Academy. Gray plastic = Takom
The size difference was stark (especially the hatch size).

For instance, in the last photo, the turret hole diameters were 2.7 cm vs. 2.4 cm:

In reality, that would be 10.5 cm in diameter difference (4+ inches for those in the US).

Is that difference trivial? Depending on who you ask of course.

The grey Takom part is the roof plate ?

Which one? There are 11-12 grey Takom pieces.

3mm actual distance in 1/35 scale equals 105mm in scale or a bit over 4 inches. (4.2” = 107mm actual)

Carlos, that’s what I said already above. :slight_smile:
Or that’s what she said. :smiley:

2 Likes

The Takom part in the bottom photo with the 27mm measure appears to be the rear plate.
Ken

Obviously, I do not know the exact terminology for that part, but that’s the equivalent hole in which the cupola is inserted. Takom’s respective part is certainly bigger. Boy, this post is full of unintended “that’s what she said” innuendo. :smiley:

Wrong hole… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Not the back door… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

^^ Ditto^^

What you show is the back door on the M114, not the roof plate w/hole for the cupola.

The roof openings should be the same size as the Academy one is the standard size for an M113, and the same size as all other 1/35 M113s. So the real question may be whether or not the Takom cupola/hole is oversized.

Ah excuse my mistake. Wrong hole. :smiley:
I’ll post a photo and measurement of the top roof plate shortly.

“Said the actress to the bishop”

Sorry, I had to do it. :see_no_evil::innocent:

2 Likes