M981 fistv

Good point Gino, the Takom cupola does look helluvalot bigger than the Academy unit.

Herman’s take is that the M981 kits (non PSM which is OOP) have a cupola WAY too small. But maybe the reality is that the PSM cupola is sized correctly, the Academy/Italeri ones are both a little small and the Tacom one quite alot bigger than it should be?

OK, got the right part and remeasured it. The roof opening for the turret/cupola is the same as Academy kit’s at 24 mm.

So is the above the case? Is the Takom cupola too big? It looks like it may be to me, but I am not sure.

I can tell you that the hatch on an actual M981 was not big at all. It was a tight fit for me and I am not a huge guy, especially when I was a 22yr old 2LT.

It would be nice if Herman could measure his PSM cupola and James his Takom unit for a *final comparison.

James, good info on the ring cut out from the Takom kit and Gino - You cant beat boots on the ground, good job!

*Assuming the PSM piece is the correct size.

Good first hand info, Gino. If that’s the case, Takom M114’s hatch appears over-sized, and Academy’s may not be so inaccurate.

Here are a few pics of the actual hatch to compare them too.

If they are the same hatch and the drawing on Takom’s boxart is correctly scaled to the kit, the hatch is way too big. It only comes up to the shoulders/neck of the actual soldier below, not way over his head as Takom’s boxart shows.

1 Like

A couple more detail shots of the cupola area off one of my old tracks…

2 Likes

The PSM cupola measures 29 mm, Takom´s 31mm. Takom´s hatch measures 21 mm, PSM 20mm. I don´t think you can use M114 cupola. TUA turret was build by Emerson Electric, while M114 cupola was made by the vehicle manufacturer. Like I stated above, all plastic TUA turret have it´s origin in the Verlinden conversion. And even Verlinden made mistakes. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
981c

2 Likes

,Found this drawing of a M41 with TUA turret.

Thanks Herman

What would be really helpful is to get the dimensions of the actual M981 cupola and of the *Academy M901/981 cupola.

Then the PSM unit’s dimensions could be compared with the *Academy unit.

*(mine are still sealed).

Sorry, but I can´t help. I throw away “bad parts”. immediatly.

Regarding the cupola I came up with this, the cupola is a modified M27. Is this the type on an M114 ?

1 Like

James, what are the Academy’s cupola dimensions please?

If the M114 uses the same cupola as the M113 C&R, then its a M26. You are right Emerson TUA is named M27.

1 Like

According to Hunnicut the M26 & M27

are identical except for the weapon mount so cupolas on M114, M113 C&R, and M901 are all the same.

2 Likes

Very interesting…

Camp Mabry in Austin has a M901 and a M114

From Hunnicutt Bradley book

If someone is willing & able and they allow it I’d love to see some first hand measurements.

the second is not an m114 but a canadian army m113 lynx

Yep. The Lynx has a very similar turret. We’re already assuming that the Emerson M901/981 turret has the same dimensions as the GM Cadillac Division M114 turret which could only come about by Army specs so why not the FMC Lynx.