M981 fistv

Jeez Louise. The M26 and M27 cupolas are the same thing, minus what’s mounted on them. The same M27 was specified as the base for the Emerson TOW launcher. That’s not up for debate.

1 Like

Checking my photos and the M114 at Camp Mabry is the wrong turret i.e. the earlier version. But the M901 looks good. Haven’t been there in a while so not sure what the entrance requirements are now.

1 Like

My take on M981 FISTV. Tamiya base kit with PSM conversion kit and Model Kasten tracks.

Bumpercodes need to be applied somedays.

7 Likes

Very nice work Herman.

My latest, the old Academy kit. AFV Club tracks and an A/M M60. A few pieces of Eduard etch and an A/M towing cable. Tamiya tarps.

7 Likes

Another great job. It came out nicely. The old Academy kit still stands up well.

1 Like

Good looking finish! Bravo!

1 Like

Old thread. But, be warned

1 Like

Thanks Gino, I was intrigued by the turret/ ring, it didnt have any way of locking it to the hull. Given the weight of the turret this seemed odd, but that’s how they built them in the ‘90s I guess.

I know you’re not a PE fan and after using Eduards tiny pieces to make the tow rope bracket, wrapping the a/m wire cable around it was….challenging.

1 Like

Thanks Carlos, I mixed the brown using the box art then shot a Desert Yellow wash, building up towards the back.

Glad you like it.

1 Like

Edit- Posted on wrong thread… apologies to Denimo!
moved photos to my build thread

9 Likes

Looking good. Nice job on it so far.

1 Like

Thanks Gino. Now that I finally have the tracks on I can finally see the finish line…

1 Like

Beautiful work Gino. Will it be based on your track?

1 Like

If I had pictures of Gino’s track in Desert Storm, I’d gladly model it. But as it stands now I’m gonna use the kit markings from 1st ID.

3 Likes

Not my model, that one is by Carlos. My example from when I was a 2LT in 1 CAV is further up the thread.

1 Like

Oops…And very nice too.

Carlos is doing a great job with his build.

1 Like

@Denimo, no worries Den :wink:

@HeavyArty, I remember you mentioning using straws as your brush guards for the antenna bases. If so… how in hades did you make the side cut outs on those…I can not figure that part out. Length is easy… thinning down to scale thickness on other mediums is easy. But cutting out the side stuff on a damned straw has got me stumped. At least doing it neatly.

1 Like

Hi Carlos. I did it by hand cutting each square out. I first slipped a wooden dowl or piece of brass tubing down into the straw to give a backing to cut them on, then carefully cut each square out with an xacto knife. It sounds harder than it actually is. Just go slow and take your time and I’m sure you will do a great job on them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation of technique Gino. I’ll give it a shot this week. I have plenty of straws to cover for any failed efforts… :thinking:

1 Like