M985A2 HEMTT Israeli Defence Force (IDF) kit combination build

Hi guys,
It seems like there is a rising interest in the HEMTT family of vehicles, so I’ll chip in with my ongoing build of the IDF M985A2. Ongoing should in brackets, since I don’t currently build on the kit, since I have other buns in the oven, so to speak.
The point of departure for my model is the fact, that although Trumpeter have issued a number of HEMTT kits, they are not doing the regular “truck” version, the M977 or the M985. Italeri has isssued the M977 version, but this kit is nearly 25 years old, and a real piece of crap, pardon my French.
So I use the necessary parts from the Italeri kit and combine them with the Trumpeter HEMTT kits. If I should begin this kit today, I would chosse the M1120, since it has the correct frame lenght. I began this build, when the M983 was the only version, so I had the lenghten the frame.
The photos “IDFOshkosh.jpg”, “pic47.jpg” and “PICT1094.JPG” are my primary references.
Original post on the old Armorama can be found here:

Regards Thomas
IDFOshkosh

3 Likes

Combination frame

Green parts from the Italeri kit, grey from Trumpeter and then Evergreen.

4 Likes

Interesting project, do you need more photos?

1 Like

Yes, please! :blush:

1 Like

At some point in time the IDf replaced the cranes at the back with a locally produced one

Lots of variants and configurations, I am no HEMTT expert so I cannot distinguish between the variants, I can only recognize the fuel tanker.

5 Likes

Looks like it is coming along nicely. I built the same, in a similar manner (I used the M1120 frame) a while ago.

3 Likes

That looks like a intresting build

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the photos, many of them I had not seen before :+1:

1 Like

Most of the ones you show above are M1120A2s with the arm for lifting flatracks. The one with the locally-made crane is a recovery/wrecker version. That is why it has a shorter bed; to hold an engine or other parts.

The only M977A2/M985A2 cargo versions you show are these.

3 Likes

The crane is from the now closed Belgian company ProArt Models. The crane is the same as in the M984, so hopefully Trumpeter will sell the crane sprues separately?

1 Like

The vehicle frame from the side. The “H”-shaped frame parts were relatively easy to build with the TM as refer

ence.

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes