Mack NO6 ~ 7 1/2 ton Artillery Tractor

Other Offerings:

There are some resin models of the Mack NO out there both in 1/48th and 1/35th but in my opinion too many compromises have been made by some manufactures and there always seems to be problems with tire size as well as a lack of good underbody mechanical detail.

The offering from Azmith seems to be the best by far in my opinion:
MackNO_15

MackNO_16 MackNO_18

The following is an amazing, much reworked resin model. I have seen this one published various places under both the name Tom Hill and Alex Hill.

AHillTom8Mar07_002

AHillTom8Mar07_001

AHillTom8Mar07_024

AHillTom8Mar07_025 AHillTom8Mar07_022

AHillTom8Mar07_032

5 Likes

A bit of good news to share with the group:

This weekend my Mack NO and 155mm gun + Limber gets shipped off (hand carried) to become a permanent display at the Mack Truck Museum in Allentown, PA.

The Mack Truck Museum; Allentown, PA.

Note: The Museum has been shuttered since the rise of Covid but will be reopening again THIS MONTH!

8 Likes

Congrats!! It will be immortalized forever. I hope they put your name on it.

1 Like

Thank You!
I am just happy that perhaps it now won’t end up in the trash heap when I pass.
I consider this model as being a personal lifetime best, so I am glad it has a new and hopefully long lasting home.

1 Like

VERY impressive Michael ! Thanks for sharing all your work .
Regarding the difficulty you had making boxes etc of sheet styrene and keeping things square -
you may want to invest in some machinist’s precision ground blocks . Used in conjunction with a glass plate you can assure square assembly. Plus the blocks being steel and the plate being glass you won’t be gluing your work to fixture.

1 Like

Well in my case I use my Father’s 75+ year old, Starrett Combination Square and a piece of old marble counter top as my surface plate. Plus several small modeler’s steel 90Âș right angles and also small parallel jaw furniture clamps.
However, in the beginning, I had serious problems making perfectly rectangular boxes so am herein just giving some friendly advice to newcomers.

However my abilities have improved somewhat (hopefully) over the years.

starrett-435me-300

Most Recent Efforts:*
Generator and Refrigeration Unit for a 20’ Reefer Container in 1/35th.

These units were built up out of Tamiya 0.2mm “Plastic Paper” and Evergreen Angle.
I used the super thin sheet material because I wanted to emboss the rivets and bolts plus I wanted to simulate the slight waviness that stamped metal panels often take on.

2 Likes

Great scratchbuilding and a beautiful result, and certainly worthy of display in a museum.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your generous comments!

1 Like

Congratulations Michael. Great to see this will be admired by many, many more people now.

2 Likes

Mike,

Congratulation on your most cherrished scratchbuild becoming museum exhibit!You must be very proud!

Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes

Thank You Angel!

Packing it up!

Tupperware plastic totes, foam base and wooden fondue sticks stuck into the foam and then cut to fit. Also a few loose rubber bands just to help secure things.

2 Likes

Mike, that fantastic donation is gonna leave a mighty big hole on your display shelf! A hole big enough for a new truck build, that can be part of the Convoy campaign
 :thinking:

Already well on my way to more than filling the gap:

MA3-7410 Semi-Tractor w/Trailer.

I think there should be a new topic; we can call it “The Big Boys”; where everything about modeling the heavy transporters, like the Mack No. 7, MAZ tractors and M1070s should be place; including reference materials, imagery and builds.

Just a nice suggestion.

1 Like

I would love that idea!

Current WIP:
963dd607f5ceca0e7fd86271aa65abd83e925af6_2_690x325

Besides the Mack NO
cda430a0b9b09f1cdc137893a0439de6d516238b_2_517x345

3 Likes