Macross - Destroid Defender 1/72

The mission continues, and the first round of colour goes on.

Thanks for looking! :vulcan_salute:t2:

4 Likes

Attempted a bit of colour modulation, with which I am happy. But, on closer inspection of the photo’s the paint job looks a bit rough and may need some additional attention.

Anyway, I done freezing my rear off in the garage for now.

Till next time and thanks for watching :vulcan_salute:t2:

5 Likes

It was a bit warmer today, so I ventured out to the garage. Did a bit of assembly of the LAC and a bit of painting on both kits. The windows were done with a 50/50, smoke / clear green finish on the inside and I think the hue achieved is pretty much spot on.

The problem with super close ups is that the effect that you created for viewing at arms length all of a sudden looks like a mistake, which it is not. Anyhow, the build is coming together nicely.

Till next time, have a great festive season if I don’t update before then!

Thanks for watching! :vulcan_salute:t2: :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Seasons greetings, all! :christmas_tree:

Well, I finally managed to get the decals onto the Destroid. One or two errors, but overall I am very pleased with the look.

Next round, I will seal the decals before starting the weathering process.

I will need to give the base some more thought, but I’ll let that stew quietly in the background till I’m ready.

Thanks for looking! :vulcan_salute:t2:

6 Likes

Hi ya all!

I have been giving the base some thought, like I mentioned before, I wanted a smaller base than my last Macross adventure, the “Going Downtown” Regult build.

This had achieved everything I had in mind. Scale, city scape (Macross City), impending destruction.

This time I want a smaller, more compact vignette whilst still giving a flavour of scale, location etc.

I have opted for a dinky base from Scalemodelscenery.co.uk, measuring 100mm x 140mm, I’ll cut off the back as that would be too limiting IMO.

Now this has allowed me to sketch out a design proposal, and to do a test layout.

Anyway, some more thinking and pondering to be done.

Till later! :vulcan_salute:t2:

7 Likes

Hi ya all!!

I have been tinkering with the base and it coming along nicely. Still oodles I want to do to the kits weather wise, but one hurdle at a time.

I chopped and glued the base together and dropped some foam board on top as my surface.

I glued the paving tiles and kerb in place, the central barrier and light post are just pinned in place for now.

With the Destroid and LAV the vignette is starting to come alive.

Thanks for looking. :vulcan_salute:t2:

8 Likes

Looking great Sir.

1 Like

Coming along nicely Gavin.

With inspiration from your build and a Rilfeman not that easy to come by I picked up my first two Macross ‘aircraft’, a VF-11B Super Thunderbolt and a RVF-25 Messiah. Next time I do an order from HLJ I’ll look for a Rilfeman sorry Destroid Defender.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, Luciano.

I am most pleased to hear that my efforts have inspired you. Have you checked out HLJ.com for the 1/72 scale destroids from Wave? They are on my wish list as well. :heart_eyes:

The way I am doing the base allows it fall both into the Robotech/Macross and the BattleTech worlds, which is a pleasing happenstance.

Nice choice of kits by the way! :+1:t2:

Well, enough goo-goo eyes for now, bits are arriving today that will speed up matters along for the base and then back to the destroid for weathering and placement on the base.

Thanks for watching!

2 Likes

Luciano,

Following up on my earlier response and the kits that I have an eye on, see below for the Tomahawk Destroid from Wave.

7 Likes

Gavin that Tomahawk is nice, I’ve not come across Wave before so will keep an eye out when I next order from HLJ, but that won’t be for a while.

Just in case anyone looking in is wondering these are the two Macross ‘aircraft’ I mentioned in the post above.

4 Likes

Wow, that RVF-25 has a funky radome! :thinking:

I have the other elint variant in my stash, the VE-1 Elintseeker.

Till later! :vulcan_salute:t2:

3 Likes

The dorsal radome on that RVF-25 actually hinges, had a look through the instructions and it can be made moveable so the sides can hinge/slide open and closed, also comes with a load of under wing ordinance.

I do need to do some catching up though as I have no idea what Macross Plus or Frontier is.

Think I’ll just be sticking to two aircraft to go with a ‘Rifleman’ and possibly one more Destroid after seeing the one you posted by Wave.

1 Like

Cool, I am glad that I was able to generate a bit extra enthusiasm/interest into the realms of Macross/Robotech and Battletech.

Do enjoy!

Till the next update. :vulcan_salute:t2:

1 Like

Hi ya all!

I thought I’d try something different this time when doing the asphalt (tar), what ever you like to call it. Anyway, normally I just use good 'ol Polyfilla and apply with a filler/scraper knife, then paint and weather accordingly. I did that with the Regult build.

This time I thought I’d try something different like the Vallejo Earth Texture acrylics - Black Lava-Asphalt.

Well, personally I think the texture is a bit too rough for the scale, but it’s not earth shattering IMHO. As you can see it is still wet and has a curing time of 30-45 minute. I just used a wooden ice lolly stick to scrape off the excess on the seal and apply across the surface. It adheres quite well, has good coverage and the “black” is solid.

Once it has dried and I have painted the road marking and weather the surface, we’ll get a better idea of how this departure from form pans out. Well, I hope. :thinking:

Till next time, thanks for watching. :vulcan_salute:t2:

5 Likes

Gavin this side of the pond we tend to call it tarmac but we do also know it as asphalt. Regarding the Vallejo texture paints, I’ve not yet used their particular product but I have used similar when basing wargaming figures which of course are a much larger scale. Be interesting to see how well it works in 1/72, keep us posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like the work and progress so far. I’m a pretty big fan of Robotech, Macross, and almost any other mech stuff. Plus, Captain Harlock, Akira, and it goes on and on. Perhaps, if there’s enough interest a GB out of this. Thanks for building these kits, we don’t see enough of them.
Dave

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words!

There is so much more to Sci-Fi, than just Star Trek and Star Wars. As much as I am a fan boy of both, Mecha is a whole different ball game!

The multitude of Sci-Fi titles and series out there are mind boggling, as well as the number of scale model kits available are equally eye watering in number and price for some.

I’m not sure we get the same recognition or status as the rest of the field of scale modelling, but for me that is not really important, as long as I enjoy the build.

I have been building a number a cars on the late and thought its time for something different, hence my mecha build. I will probably build a bike afterwards then do another mecha, as long as I am enjoying the process.

Till the next update! :vulcan_salute:t2:

1 Like

Well, this base is about done. I have just to weather and mount the mech and LAV.

The weathering was a bit of a mission, but I finally got there and am pretty much happy with the result.

Thanks for watching, till next time. :vulcan_salute:t2:

5 Likes