Martin B-10

A friend of mine gave me an old Williams B-10. Azur just came out with a new version but ,this one is free. I have a current interest in the early air war in the Pacific. The Dutch had over 130 B-10’s of various versions and used them in combat with the Japanese. I will build it in Dutch camo. I got a start on it and it has some serious flash!

139-side-view

7 Likes

Very cool! Definatly following!

1 Like

Hi Bill,

This will be great. I built her way back and used Tamiya Buffalo decals for the ML-KNIL. Painted with spray cans :grimacing:

I’ll be watching.

This kit has more flash, sink marks, and ejector pin marks of any kit I have worked on. It is a old kit, maybe it was made on Monday. It is taking a lot of sanding and filling to get it to this point. I hope I can turn it into something presentable.

5 Likes

This should be very interesting! Those pre-war bombers were so odd looking they are cool. There is a surviving example at the Castle Air Force Museum out near Atwater Ca. I try to get out there every couple years to check out their amazing inventory of a/c. Maybe when this COVID thing clears I think I’ll need to make a road trip since it’s been a while.

UPDATE: spoke too soon/too much Christmas cheer :beer:!
The A/C at Castle Air Museum is a B-18 Bolo not a B-10. My bad. Shouldn’t be posting on Christmas Eve :roll_eyes:

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

I saw a B-10 at the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio.

2 Likes

I saw that one too. About a million years ago when I lived in Ohio. I love that museum.
Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

GREAT subject choice.

1 Like

I’ll be watching this one as well - it has all the right elements for me - CBI Theater and a tough kit to nurse along .

2 Likes

This is my first attempt at duplicating parts with resin. The gray part is the original underwing bomb mount for the B-10. The tan one is the duplicate. I was really surprised how well it turned out. The Kit only comes with one bomb mount, but the Dutch bombers had one under each wing. This opens up all sorts of possibilities!

5 Likes

I have got some work done on the B-10. I added a gun mount for the front turret and the gunners folding seat. The 30 cal gun is by Mini World and is a little jewel .

4 Likes

I made a bulkhead to go behind the rear gunners position and added seat belts and harness

5 Likes

The Williams model is of the early B-10. It has no cowl flaps and a open gap behind the cowling. I wanted to build the Martin 139 WH-2, as used by the Dutch. They used a Wright Cyclone R-1820-G3 rated 840 hp, with cowl flaps,
Hap-range-960_640 (2)

3 Likes

I cut the front off of the Williams cowling and used it to fill in the gap… What followed was a lot of filling and sanding. The cowling from a B-17 is a close match. I will use it to cover the engine

6 Likes

I got the fuselage together and applied the base coat of medium green. I just stuck the wings on to "see what it would look like ". The undersides of the wings are aluminum but they are still masked off

9 Likes

Yeah, she’s coming together nicely Sir. Nice MG work BTW.

2 Likes

Lots of body filler and sanding on this one.

6 Likes

Looking good so far Bill!!

1 Like

A better photo.

That is one ugly looking plane and I love it! Good work on it!

1 Like