MAZ-7410 Tractor + Trailer from Trumpeter

MAZ-7410 Tractor and CHMZAP Recovery Trailer from Trumpeter:

Going to TRY and stay steady and follow thru with this build on at least the tractor portion of this kit.
(I do feel the trailer may have already been covered on these pages, perhaps ad infinitum and does not need to be looked at again.)

Having already built Trumpeter’s MAZ-543 semi-tractor (early version) many years ago I have been looking forward to the release of this MUCH updated kit for quite sometime.

4 Likes

My “first night’s” progress:

3 Likes

I am very glad to report that this is an example of the excellent level of detail that we are being treated to today by Trumpeter in this model!

However this seen below is sadly what used to pass for a “transfer case” in the old Trumpeter 537 offering. (I am referring to the item at the bottom right of the picture held in the clamp.)

In the OLD days this is what the model’s transmission and transfer case would have looked like.
(As seen in the line drawings.)
p.s. Back then the kit provided driveline was totally incorrect and mechanically impossible!

_

No brag - just fact . . .

Back in the day I was so grossed out by the poor detailing on the 537 tractor I pitched the kit parts and built my own. (Just could not stand it - especially on a semi-tractor where all that missing detail was going to be right out there in plain sight - readily visible.)

. .

6 Likes

Here is representation of the MAZ-543/7410 driveline as closely to correct as (I think) possible:

And now the 537 driveline for comparison:

1 Like

1 Like

Tractor without Winch:

_

Tractor with Winch:

_

_

Everything’s bigger in TX . . . . . er, I meant, Russia!

Also available in a 5 passenger cab model for those with a growing family.

4 Likes

I just have a “Thang for those Sprangs” . . . .

I really like the sprung rear suspension of the 7410 as opposed to the harder riding “Walking Beam” suspension of the 537. I have no explanation, I just do.
I also like the more closely coupled rear axles and those big “Saddle Bag” gas tanks.

. .

Photos: Car-Truck-Bus,ru

4 Likes

I will be watching this for sure

1 Like

Chris ~ glad to see you are on board!

1 Like

Buttoned up the two halves of the frame so it is now one solid assembly.
Working now on the suspension mounts on the outside of the frame.

1 Like

Anyone who knows me, knows I always have to change something on a model. Trumpeter chose to not supply a winch with this vehicle even though it is an option on the real tractor.

I had a housing left over from one of my old 537 builds so I think it is going to go on this one. It is a bit beat up, so repairs are necessary and I will still have to modify it for the off-set to the right but it should all be do-able.

1 Like

Adding that is a good call.
I am much like you in that regard and have to change stuff.

A mild disappointment: This structure behind the cab has always been a mystery to me. I had hopes that Trumpeter would detail this out for me so I could leave it open and exposed. I know the right wing has a fairly large oil tank / reservoir and air cleaner assembly. The driver’s side wing has a fan and an oil cooler/ radiator, but is the center just open storage space??? There seems to be enough room in there for two - three people to camp out!

I have seen some 7410’s with this space just wide open.

2 Likes

Judging from the louvres and the two smal access hatches , there has to be at minimum hydraulic pumps at not a good deal of electronics. Id be curious to see what you find .

Well just remember, as a Scud missile carrier this center area would have been totally open for the missile to lay into. Also on the largest of the 7310AA-60/70/80 Airport Fire trucks this space contains a large foam tank separate from the water tank. However on the smaller and intermediate size Fire Trucks this area is enclosed with the exact same structure as seen on this 7410 model.

But the smaller Fire Trucks use the exact same enclosure such as seen below. Looks like the roof is hinged to open gull wing style.

4c81996f2047f

1 Like

I get the impression that thanks to the original Scud Missile TEL design this central area is just free and available “attic space”, open to install any pumps, storage tanks, electronics or special equipment a given purpose built vehicle might require.

kamaz-monster

1 Like

And when the 7410 is employed as a tractor for the large Flap Lid and Big Bird radar units this area is used for a medium sized auxiliary generator as well as interactive-unit LAN ground communications.

The model in the foreground utilizes the new MAN provided truck cabs on the standard 7410 chassis

FlapLid_zps8232ef0b

On the SMERCH launcher this area contains an “Operations and Firing” “shack” / cabin.

smerchbm30heavymultiplerocketlauncherrigged3dmodel000

2 Likes

Somewhat interesting YouTube video by Tominin Video on the MAZ-543. I think they might incorrectly describe it as a 7410 but I suspect this vehicle used to be a Scud Missile TEL. It has the longer chassis with torsion bar suspension on all eight wheels. Regardless, that central equipment area behind the cab seems to be totally devoid of anything necessary to the operation of the truck.

2 Likes

Looking forward to this, its only the price that puts me off getting it sadly. Also, hope you do show the trailer being built up as well. Even if its been done in the past, its always good to see another one done and someone else’s take on it :+1:

Well I do have to say the tractor was/is my main point of interest - if Trumpeter had sold only this by itself I would have bought just the semi-tractor. However as I will now have both the 537 and the 543 semi-tractors I guess I should give them something to pull.

My 537

2 Likes