Meng 1/24 GT40

DECALING IS DONE

Nice to be making steady progress on the GT40 and with all the color coats finished, it was onto decaling. This is my first time working with Indycal Decals and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of the decals, accuracy and ease of use.

All that needs to be remembered is they are printed on a single piece of clear decal film and each decal needs to be cut out separately. No issues at all as I started at the top of the front clip, worked my way back towards the rear clip and centered the racing stripes as best as I could. No issues at all, just go slow, take your time and using the Micro Decal System, the decals sat down perfectly.

At the top of the roof, the decal needs to pass over the antenna flange and I found it was easier to just punch a small hole in the decal for this – simple and no fuss.

On the rear clip, the circle and number present a small challenge of needing to being applied over an air scoop and also another small lump. The circle is a two-piece affair and went down very easily, as I punched a hole in the lower edge for the small lump to poke through and the notch for the air scoop was already cut into the circle. A separate piece for the air scoop is provided and no issues getting it to sit down. I did manage to have a very small wrinkle in it but it’s so small, it passes inspection. The location for both of the holes I punched were already locate on the decal, making it that much easier.

All the side decals went on easily and with no issues at all. Next step is the clear gloss coats and then onto the wheels and tires. Glass will be last.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

6 Likes

That looks pretty amazing Peter. Nice’n’sharp.

1 Like

Nice work Peter - giving your brother a run for the money eh ?

2 Likes

Richard, I’m thinking there’s only one of them, running 2 accounts to keep us on our toes! :thinking:

Lovely work Peter (or is it Joel?), the decals have laid down really nicely indeed!

Cheers, D

1 Like

OK Guys,
It’s the real me, whose always lurking in the background. But Peter is real. He’s my younger twin brother by all of 20 min. Believe me it wasn’t easy getting him to start building cars along with his life long interest in airplanes and building airplane models.

His Ford GT40 MkII is really coming along quite nicely. I’ve seen this beauty up close and personal on my visits to his Condo and it looks even better in person. Paint and decaling are spot on.

We have continuous running conversations about the correct colors with the latest one being the actual real color of those Red drops around the head lights.
As a side note, Henry Ford II demanded that since Ford was spending literally millions to beat Ferrari and win LeMans, that the colors used on all of the GT40s be from the 1966 colors available on the Mustang, so Signal Flare Red was the actual color used. As for the light Blue, it’s not the Gulf Wyer Blue that everyone uses, it’s Arcadian Blue and I believe that Wyer used that color for his Gulf livery teams as he started out running the GT40 program when Ford moved on.

Now there’s a piece of racing history that wasn’t even mentioned in the movie.

joel

1 Like

Thanks for the additional information. :+1:

Jesper
Very much appreciated. No question about it, the GT40 has been a learning experience for me and right at the top of the list is working with Indycal decals and the whole decaling process in auto modeling, which is quite different then the process used in aircraft modeling.
Peter

Richard
Thanks so much and it’s been a lot of fun building models with my brother as almost Buddy Builds and a great way to keep the juices flowing.
Peter

1 Like

Damian
Yup, there are really two of us - thoroughly enjoying the GT40 and learning as I go.
Peter

1 Like

JA
Yup, the secret is out of the bag. Never could have gotten this far, especially the colors if it wasn’t for your help. Check is in the mail but knowing the post office might take a few decades to get to you
Bro

Ryan
My brother is my best resource for figuring all this out.
Peter

2 Likes

Frickin’ WOW!!! Man have I been missing out. Jeez man!!! Such a cool thread just PACKED with action!!! Gonna be going back through this one in detail Peter. Amazing stuff dude.

FORD GT40

MENG 1/24 SCALE

DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

The Meng 1/24 scale Ford GT40 is done and in the books. The model depicts the second place finish car driven by Ken Miles and Denny Hulme at Le Mans in 1966. While I was building the model, I had the opportunity to actually watch the movie: Ford vs Ferrari – talk about inspiration. I spent a lot of time finishing the model as I wanted it to replicate the car as best I could. The kit itself had no real issues and was a pleasure to build – my first race car to be honest.

I used Indycal Decals and they were fantastic for all the car and tire markings. The teardrops over the headlights were done using the mask set I purchased from IndyCals when I purchased the decals and were the only way I could resolve the fit and color issues. Indycal helped replicate the car markings correctly and fit of the decals were superb. Decals were applied right on top of the gloss paint, as it was super smooth and no need for any clear coats for application.

Paints:

Primer: MRPLight Gray Lacquer

Color Coats: Gravity of Spain Lacquers

Clear Gloss Top Coat: Tamiya Clear LP-9

The Tamiya Clear Gloss Lacquer LP-9 was used to seal the decals and I followed my brother and Mark’s ’s advice, let the clear coat set up for a good 72hours and then onto the polishing stages. To add depth to the finish I used the Gravity Polishing System and lastly their synthetic Wax.

Peter

5 Likes

Always like a GT40.

Very nice build, Peter :blush:

Well done Peter ! Brother Joel better look in his mirrors - I sense a contender on his 6 …

Looks great Peter. :+1:

Bro,
I’d say you did one heck of a job on your 1st completed race car build. A few bumps in the road along the way, but your skill set no matter aircraft or race car clearly shows.
And Richard, here I thought he had my 6 covered.

joel

Awesome build Peter!. Nice to see Denny’s drive recognised, sort of overlooked in the movie! Time to build 1st and 3rd place now. :grinning:

cheers
Michael

Lovely build Peter, really nicely done!

Cheers, D

An absolute top job Peter.