MFH's Ducati 750 Super Sport 1974

Michael,
That’s not like Gravity to not get back to you ASAP. I’m assuming your dealing with Gravity of Spain and not the Florida/USA as he’s terrible.

Another great paint resource that i now use is Scale Finishes right here in the USA. They do custom colors as well. Give 'em a call. Here’s the site address:
Scalefinishes.com

joel

Well good news. Gravity are going to make the paints colours for me, only drawback not until January but I’m patient.
While I wait I am moonlighting in the T-34/85 campaign trying to complete my first ever tank.

cheers
Michael

2 Likes

I guess that means I have to wait as well - looking forward to more progress on the Duc !

Michael,
That’s great news. Did you ever contact Scale Finishes, they also do custom colors and you just might get it a lot sooner. Can’t hurt to try.

Good luck on your 1st tank ever. I found the hardest part of building them was painting and weathering the tracks realistically without a full mud and dirt bath.

joel

Well the paint is on its way from Gravity Colours Spain. I will be interested to see what is looks like especially the frame colour since from photos it has shades of green to blue.
While waiting for the paint I have been working on the rest of the bike so once I can lay down some colour I hope it will be a matter of adding the rest of parts. I am also waiting a replacement part for a clip on grip, one of them was short molded. According to FedEx it is in Australia for some reason.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

Michael,
Looking forward to your next update on the Ducati 750, especially with some color.

joel

Good deal Michael - tough flying the MFH banner alone …

Richard,
Not true. I’ve been your loyal and constant co-pilot till Michael is ready to take the right hand seat again.

joel

1 Like

True , true - rude of me of me not to mention your support !

Well it took three weeks, which is certainly longer than usual but the paint for the bike arrived yesterday along with supplies for future builds.

I am particularly interested in trying the Azzurro which is the frame colour and the pinstripe colour. But I also need to paint the fenders, tank, fairing and seat hump as assembley requires those working from the back to the front.
I haven’t posted any pictures but everything else it ready to go. Engine is complete as are forks, rear shocks, brakes, exhausts clip-ons, battery, carbs etc so once I get the paint complete hopefully it will be straightforward from there.
After this weekend, some colour pics I hope.

cheers
Michael

You’re doing a great job, Michael!! As I work on a motorcycle garage, I can say that you made an amazing work with the engine, so realistic.

For future colors needs, youa can also check this website, it’s located in Spain and they have a great customer service. I have some of these colors and work really good: Paints / Colors / Zero Paints: New products | SpotModel

Michael,
Can’t believe it took Gravity of Spain’s order 3 weeks to reach you. Times have certainly changed with the pandemic to blame for all of these issues.

I’m really looking forward to seeing your Ducati’s next update as it will be the 1st time I’ve ever seen one of their bike kits built up.

joel

Glad to see you back at it - anxious for pics !
Cheers- Richard

Thanks Nacho and certainly appreciate your comments as somebody at the sharp end of motorcycles for sure.
I have used Spot Models to buy stuff from and I have bought Zero paints but actually never got round to using them. The reason I use Gravity, also Spanish, is that I have asked them a few times to create colours for me and they have always come up with the goods so keen to continue to support that business.
What sort of bikes do you work on? I know motorcycling is a sort of religion is Spain given the level of participation in the sport.

cheers
Michael

Thanks Joel, yes shipping ain’t what is use to be but that’s OK since modelling it all about patience. Hopefully some progress shots in a couple of days if the colour session this weekend works out.

cheers
Michael

Thanks Richard. Hopefully soon.

cheers
Michael

You’re welcome, Mike. I only have a set of Gloss Clear from Gravity as a prize for winning the non-sport motorcycle categorie in one contest here in Madrid. I have used it a couple times, and found it tricky to use. I found easier to use the one I use when I paint motorcycle parts at work.

As you say, the Gravity customer support looks great and helpful, so why change.

I work on a Piaggio Group service. We work on Piaggio, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Vespa… And some other brands when possible. Now we have just get another official service: Sym (a taiwanese scooter brand). We also repair and paint body parts (me, hahaha)

Willing to see more pictures!!

Regards

That’s a great range of bikes, would love to upgrade to a Tuono!
Yes, the Gravity gloss range is tricky. I have had mixed results with the clear and the 2K. When its right its great, when not :confounded:

cheers
Michael

1 Like

Michael,
Gravity paints are my go to, followed by Scale Finishes. I’ve tried both companies primers as well as their glosses, and honestly hated both.

The primers are way to thin so that they don’t cover very well without several lite coats, and are as far away from a filler/primer as one can get.

As for their clear gloss lacquers, neither brand ever produced a high gloss, so I went back to Mr. Color and just got the Tamiya LP Clear gloss which I need to test.

As for Gravity’s 2K system, I’ve got a full box never used, as I’m honestly just to unsure of getting it on my skin wearing two gloves rather then just one. But it’s the fumes, as no matter how well these hobby spray booths are vented, I do still smell a slight paint odor, and 2K is pretty toxic.

joel

Well got framework and bodywork painted. It took longer than expected and Grigio Metallizzato is probably not a paint I would want to use again. It is metal flakes suspended in almost clear and I am not sure Gravity achieved the scale effect required, but you’ll have to wait and see.
The Azzurro was great but very sheer. Took many coats to get the colour effect I was looking for.
The frame is the starting point for this build and hopefully this weekend I will be able to start adding parts to it, from the rear forwards.

I semi glossed this because I thought as a frame it wouldn’t look right with a high gloss finish. You can let me know as the build proceeds.

cheers
Michael

2 Likes