MFH's Williams FW07B 1980

Glad the ball is in your court buddy - that way I can get some sleep… LOL

Richard,
Glad to help you get your Zzzzs. At my age I don’t need nor get half that much.
joel

I know the answer is out there somewhere!

Michael,
I’ve googled it as many ways as I can think of, but the results don’t have the answer to the question. So I guess it’s time to kick it up a notch or two and email Cosworth directly.
joel

I like it!

Ok guys, I finally found out the answer for the change to Cosworth on the cam covers.
When Williams signed Saudi Air as their title sponsor, they were considered the factory team for Cosworth. Ford had major issues with the Saudis over their Israel polices, and it never got any better during that time frame.
In order for Williams to keep their sponsorship as is, and to appease Ford, Cosworth with Ford’s and Saudi Air approval had the Ford name removed from the cam covers and Cosworth’s name added. To the best I can ascertain, the Cosworth Cam covers were only replaced on the William’s Ford Cosworth engines. All other Ford Cosworth engine Cam covers still carried the Ford name.
This is why as I checked various teams that ran a Ford Cosworth, the Cam covers remained with the Ford name and not Cosworth.
joel

2 Likes

Well found Joel . Politics is far reaching , then and now .
Thanks for digging that up .

Well done Inspector Willstein! :champagne:
Ford must have been miffed with their not being able to claim a WC for “their” engine

Michael,
I not so sure about that. Fans generally make assumptions and stick with them no matter what. Remember when cigarette manufactures were starting to see bans in various countries. Ferrari was sponsored by the biggest one of all: Marlboro. So in the banned countries they just removed the Marlboro logo and substituted black boxes. When they asked the fans who sponsored the Ferrari cars, the vast majority of fans said Marlboro even though it wasn’t on the car in that countries F1 GP.
I also googled the question what driver and team won the 1980 F1 Constructors championship.
Wikipedia listed the results as this:
Albilad Williams Racing Team
Williams Ford
FW07 & FW07B
Ford Cosworth DFV 3.0 V8
27 Alan Jones

In this case Ford got way more then their monies worth.

joel

Truly mind-blowing amount of details put onto that engine.

Thank for the history lessons, very interesting.

1 Like

Well the last of the invisible interior. Those camshafts gotten be driven by something.

and its all hidden behind the end plates, which has it own cogs and belt

Then the end plate cover which is the attachment point to the car

On the other end of the engine block we have have the gearbox etc. Fortunately there are no internals for this, just a clutch plate

Time to get some primer and colour on this and seal it all up.

cheers
Michael

4 Likes

Almost seems criminal to cover up all that great looking detail.

Michael,
I gotta agree with Ryan that it’s close to a modeling crime to have all that incredible detail covered up, never to be seen again. Especially since you got it all fitted correctly where everything moves in harmony. What MFH should offer is the engine as a separate detail set and just the outer shell parts of the engine in the kit. In 1/12 scale the stand alone engine would really look fantastic.

I have a friend on my model racing site (which has a rather large darkside group that’s always seem to be growing), and he’s building the same kit. Just left out all the engine inners. Come to think of it, he never even mentioned that they were in the kit. He’s just to busy drilling holes.

joel

1 Like

I was thinking that when I posted. Heck I might be able to afford that as a stand alone kit of just the engine. :+1:

Ryan,
Me too. I’m on a budget these days as I’m into my 4th year of glorious retirement where everyday is a vacation day.
joel

1 Like

@Joel_W @Tank_1812 Interesting conversation and sorry I completely forgot to respond to this. You can buy the some of their engines separately Engine Kit Series (modelfactoryhiro.com) but not a Cosworth DFV it seems.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

And speaking of engines, interior or not, I would have liked to have stopped here if possible.

this has been the most awkward engine to wire and plumb - I reached new depths of descriptive language - partially MFH’s fault for not being clear in the instructions and me not checking some pictures which would have sorted things out straight away.
But we got there

and an array of metallics for the pumps and pipes

Hell, I hope the gear box and rear suspension is more straightforward.

cheers
Michael

5 Likes

Engine looks beautiful Michael - I like the yellowed fuel lines to the injectors.

1 Like

Beautiful work Michael, silky smooth paint and neat details. Love it!

Cheers, D

Wow….thanks for the information. I will stick with being amazed by your build. The engine looks great.