Micro Machines Campaign

It would be nice to see them get a new life. I wouldn’t care if they were new Revell, as under paint, you are never going to know anyway.

It is amazing how collectable the old Matchbox kits are. They pull more $'s here than the Revell re-pops cost from a LHS! I’m happy to build them rather than keep them.

What’s the date on that contraption? I suspect it may be older than me! :laughing:

1 Like

ok where’s the going button

1978 according to Scalemates. The engraver forgot to finish the year date on the moulds… same on both sprues.

Original kits came with the clear film on the back, so you could drool over the two different coloured sprues inside. Also original kits have the 'Made in England" and “Matchbox Lesney Prods & Co. Ltd.” on the sprue or on the major part on each sprue. Later the moulds were sent off to China for the kits to be made, and they had to scratch that out of the mould and boxes no longer had the see through panel. The Chinese made ones don’t get as much money as original British made ones.

2 Likes

I’m still ammused by the boxes claim that no painting is necessary. Clearly meant to appeal to both kids and parents. The kids so they can get something roughly the right colour into battle quickly, and parents had no paint to buy or a risk of spills on the furniture!
In their defence, they did try to use plastic that was roughly the right colours. The aircraft however could be quite lurid, and the Chinese boxes were worse!

I’m always happy to see a Revell reissue of anything from the old Matchbox range.

1 Like

Well, I clearly have a cousin of your kit, (1/76 Sherman Firefly) but with a very lazy toolmaker.

They just barely scratched out the copyright information. The left the original Matchbox kit number on all 3 sprues, but carefully cut out the county in the :Made in____" text. I am surprised that they went to the trouble of cutting different roadbeds for the two different kits. :wave:

1 Like

@md72 - Mark,

I reviewed the book “The Story of Matchbox Kits” back in 2012 on the previous Armorama version. IIRC for a time Matchbox kits were manufactured in China and that is why the “Made in” country was obscured. And as someone mentioned, kit PK-84 was first made in 1978. It was rereleased by Revell in 1996 with one figure and announced again in 2007. Besides the old review of the book there is also a pretty good site dealing with Matchbox kits at MatchBoxKits.org.

I will officially join this campaign and at this point my choice of subject will be the kit JB1004 Saladin MK.2 Armoured Car.

Cheers,
Jan :beer: :beer:

3 Likes

To Whom it May Concern,

So how does one “Click” to join this endeavour? I haven’t investigated any campaigns much so any guidance would be appreciated. :wink:

For a touch of nostalgia I investigated to see if I still had backups of all the articles that I submitted over the years and I found all the data for the Matchbox book. Here’s a couple of images to stir creativity?

Cheers,
Jan :beers: :beers:

3 Likes

@phantom_phanatic @Panzer_modeler

One of these fine gentlemen will be happy to add you to the roll.

Ezra, you might want to edit the event body to include the going/interested/not going poll.

If I’m doing it on mobile I need to click the calendar icon then add event which is different than the instructions given in the template.

At risk of turning this into a Matchbox ‘Love Fest’, here are the pages from the 1979 Catalogue that deal with their armour releases:

They never added to the initial 1978 first issue Purple range of kits after the two shown in this catalogue, but they did add to the Orange Range:

Monty’s Caravan and Daimler Armoured car
Char B1 bis and Renault FT
Churchill AVRE
Challenger 1

One thing I recall, none of the trucks/halftrack had glass for the windows…

Later on, the box art on some kits was modified - spot the difference here:
Matchbox 8

3 Likes

Then again, there is also the option of:

:roll_eyes:

Thinking,
Jan :thinking:

2 Likes

Wow, I really missed out growing up in Revell, Monogram, Renwal and Hawk land. Did not realize that there were so many options for non wingy things in 1/72. I was always disappointed that there just weren’t any ground vehicles to go along with my planes. :wave:

Matchbox and Fujimi were 1/76th scale Mark.

For 1/72nd scale military vehicles back then, Hasegawa was your go to manufacturer, or Airfix if you were desperate (although the scale on the latter was always suspect as Stephen notes above). The Airfix Tiger tank in 1/72nd was voted the worst ever Airfix kit ever produced… and I wholeheartedly agree!!

Well, 1/76 or 1/72 most of my point remains. I was barely aware of Airfix (1/76) and Hasegawa (1/100) as a kid and I was approaching college age when I first saw Tamiya kits. And none of the 1/32, 1/35 or even 1/40 kits made any sense next to my 1/72 A/C collection. :wave:

I will submit the Vespid Panther G (when it arrives!). Where’s the “Going” button??
:smiley: :canada:

When I saw the campaign title, I remembered this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Micro_Machines_logo.png

1 Like

where’s the going button

I’m not sure how I go about adding that.
Sorry.

I don’t know if you can because Ezra created the post but…

If you open the original post and click on the calendar icon (top right of the text box between the emoji and sprocket) and click “create event” it will add the appropriate poll thing.

@staff_Jim are you or one of the higher permission admins able to fix it?

Fixed it. Poll inserted guys.

2 Likes