MikeyBugs 3D Design and Printing Ideas

I am back from vacation. The GDU set arrived and looks great. Thank you!

1 Like

Not a problem Rick. Glad you like them.

The NGSW project is coming along. It’s starting to look like an XM5 now!

3 Likes

A bit more work has been done on the left side.

2 Likes

Love the detail Mike! Slow and steady forward my friend

This is quite possibly the most complex firearm I’ve modeled yet. The gas direct impingement system is modeled as far as I can go, M4 style charging handle is done. All that’s left to do is the ejection port, forward assist, brass deflector, stock length adjustment lever, and stock folding mechanism. Along with the suppressor but that’s relatively easy, should be taken care of in 1 session. Saved the best for last as they say.

2 Likes

And the magazine, suppressor, deflector, forward assist, and ejection port are done! I added one of my 553 holographic sights on to see how it looks and I think it’s pretty good. The sight, suppressor and magazine are all separate parts so sets can be made with and without them. The NGSW ballistics computer/weapon sight will be worked on after this.

5 Likes

Guns are very nice, but how about some gun shields? I looked at Shapeways but all I can find are TAGS, etc. I was thinking some improvised gun shields instead, like insurgents or irregulars might throw together.

James, why don’t you put up some reference photos to gauge what you want? It sounds like something that Mike or I can pull off in CAD.

Here’s a gun shield for a ZSU-23.

I’m calling this gun done aside from the magazines. I added some backup sights that I have. I’m printing a test set with a suppressor and no suppressor along with some magazines.

1_35 v43_3

2 Likes

I personally don’t like designing accessories for existing accessories/model parts. For it to work right it needs to be modeled precisely in order to fit the existing part. Without the part in hand to take measurements from, I personally try to stay away from that. I don’t want to model a part that doesn’t fit properly.

@James_Phillips And just as I say I won’t, I do. Here’s a gun shield. I drew it up based on the 2nd to last picture you posted and a few other pictures I found online. I can not guarantee it will fit any particular kit and you’ll probably have to do quite a bit of hacking to get it attached.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s really nice. I don’t really care about the fit and I doubt anyone else will either, but I would probably use these on Meng’s 1/35 scale pickup trucks or the Italeri/Revell Land Rover. But I also found a YPG M1117 that the Kurds had fitted with a DSHK and gun shield. So you would sell these shields on the Shapeways site? I just ordered bumpers for some of my trucks!
download (6)

1 Like

I’ll do both. Upload it to Shapeways and offer it myself.

1 Like

Excellent

I tried to add a bit more detail to the smaller areas this time around. New model now finished.

An M27 IAR with correct Trijicon SU-258/PEQ Squad Day Optic, correct KAC BUIS, a correct vertical foregrip, a bipod, correct HK E1 stock, and a KAC QDSS NT4 suppressor. By far the hardest part of this project was getting the stock as accurate as I could and designing the ACOG basically from scratch using the ACOG from my L129A1 project as a template. I actually started this while on vacation late last week. Worked on it a bit on the drive home and finally had enough time to finish this today.

I’ll be working on a PEQ-15A later on tomorrow and they can be included either on the gun on the side. Otherwise I would suggest using Yaroslav’s excellent PEQ-15s from his PEQ set. I know Live-Resin products are next to impossible to come by these days so I’m thinking about also taking on the PEQ-15 as well. Now that I’ve made an AR/M-4/M-16 base, I have a few other projects in mind that I can use it for.

3 Likes

Something a little interesting. As it turns out, the M27 is my 100th unique listed model in 1/35. There’s more than 100 total but some are either subsets or derivatives like sets with silencers or whatnot. I’m organizing every model listing into a neat and orderly list but I think I might actually try to put together a catalog for this. My graphic design skills are, frankly, almost non-existent so it’d probably be a bit crudely done but at least if I do it, it’d be easy to find everything.

1 Like

Sorry I haven’t been very active recently. I’ve had a rough work schedule of lates then earlys and it’s been rough getting over them. I’ve also been having some trouble with the printer. A couple of recent prints have failed at 50 microns and I’m not sure why. I just recently printed a test that seems to have turned out OK so I think I’ve gotten over that hump. When I see what it looks like I’ll provide an update.

1 Like

I feel like these are details we don’t often see on 1/35 AN/PEQ-15’s because they’re so small. I’ve actually wanted to model a PEQ-15 for a while, and I did try a few years ago, but never figured out how to go about with it. I decided to model this with the laser and light covers open. I can also model it with them covered and with the selector switch in various positions if anyone wants.

2 Likes

Right on the heels of the ATPIAL, comes the model for which that was made. A Mk 18 Mod 1 (I have the pictures labeled SOPMOD Block II, I’m honestly not sure how to label it because I’ve found both names). Paying homage to the sheer modularity and configurability of the actual weapon, I can offer this in almost any configuration you want as long as I have the requisite parts.

In terms of equipment that I can put on, I currently have:
-EoTech 553, EXP2, XPS, and 551
-Various ACOGs
-T1 Micro Sight which I can add riser to
-Insight M3X weapon light
-Surefire M600 weapon light
-MagPul AFG2
-Standard and Stubby length foregrips
-AN/PEQ-15
-Surefire 5.56 suppressor
-KAC QTSS NT4 suppressor

While the sights will remain in the place they are, I can move any other part around in position or orientation to fit your liking. If you want the PEQ on the side instead of the top or the foregrips moved forwards or backwards, etc, let me know and I’ll do it for you. I can also move the stock forwards or backwards if anyone wants.

I’m looking at modeling a PEQ-15A DBAL and an SU-230/PVS ELCAN Spectre at some point as well so that will be included after it’s finished. Anything that I model that I’ve seen pictures of being on this gun, I’ll include as well.

3 Likes