Mill - Gatehouse dio

Close , that’s a Walter Thor Peugeot bicycle poster , circa 1905 . A bit of a stretch longevity wise and very dated for the 1940’s but not out of the realm for vintage building art .
I’m very into vintage building murals . It’s a dying [ dead actually ] art . These were hand painted murals that were made to last . You can still see today French building ad murals that are over a hundred years old .
They’re not pasted on posters that were covered repeatedly by newer ads . These were works of art , made to last and huge , some covering entire sides of buildings .
So , an ad mural painted in the early 1900’s had a very good chance of being around 20 , 30 , 40 , years later .

3 Likes

Tim , a little follow up and clarification .
I should have digested your query to comprehend it a little more whereas it was more about the era than the validity of the building mural ads [ which is how I answered you ] .
First off you’re correct , the Walter Thor piece is an Art Nouveau work [ late 1800’s - early 1900’s ] whereas the Art Deco [ or Jazz Age ] art form was 1920ish to around 1940 .
The Thor ad art I’m using is actually a poster , I have no idea if it was used as large scale building wall ads . Although Peugeot wall mural ads were present . However , I liked the colors and the scene , which is why I chose to use it , regardless of it’s validity .
Traditionally building wall ads were just product names , although I’ve seen examples of both Art Nouveau and Art Deco building wall ads . All building wall ads were originally posters before being transposed to large wall ads . Some just product names and some with cans , bottles , people etc.
The fact that wall ad art still exists today from as early as the early 1900’s , which makes it over a hundred years old , makes early 1900’s wall ads in the 1940’s being around not that long .

Soooooooo , to make matters worse , now I have to say Tim’s always right along with Ryan …

4 Likes

No worries, I was only musing on probabilities given the nature of any advertising. I really like the ones you’ve got too, I guess as long as they look around 40 years old I’m sure the Dio Police can just ffffly away :smirk:

3 Likes

Glenn, you must stop sneaking these masterpieces in under my radar, :wink:, both the wood, and the stonework are amazing, something for us all to ogle, and admire, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

5 Likes

Hi Glenn - looking good as always :smiley: Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers
Nick

2 Likes

Not really much more to show , spend most of my time casting and hand carving plaster bits .
Very early stages , very rough mock up .
Much , much more to do till it starts looking like something , … but I’m on my way .
Robin if you read this I’d appreciate your encyclopedic researching on small/medium sized mill sluice gates which I plan to add to each wheel .

17 Likes

Holy Masonry I knew you were stoned & now you’re giving me another bout of drop-jaw – unreally realistic wall next to the wheel, best I’ve ever seen anywhere, anytime…so don’t screw up painting it!
Unfortunately I just gave away my 21 volume set of Northern European Sluice Gates, but if it’s any help there can never be too much green slime on the paddles.

5 Likes

Those connected corners look great - wow -

Cheers
Nick

2 Likes

I love the way your woodwork looks!!!

2 Likes

That is simply amazing !!

2 Likes

Oh my God Glenn your wood work is photo-realistic. The masonry is mind blowing! This is all so good I’m gonna have to make the trip and come to your house to see this all in person when it’s complete! It’s only a few hours drive…

3 Likes

Sorry I didn’t get right back to you guys , I’m in the middle of moving , splitting and stacking firewood .
Tim , I don’t have OWS syndrome so I’m thanking youze guys now .
Tim , thanks , … Yeah pretty scary tackling the paint job .
Screwed up the Peugeot poster , sprayed primer on it , it’s ruined and my printer’s broke .
Soooooooo , I’m going with a more traditional product name SUZE on the large wall and BYRRH on the small wall under the rectangular window .
I’ve got the wall and the outline sprayed for the SUZE ad and I’m taking step by step photos of the process . Reveil soon to come .
Nick , thanks man !!!
Erwin , thanks little buddy !!!
Johnny , thanks man !!!
Matt , thanks man !!!

3 Likes

Sorry , forgot to add the pic.

7 Likes

Aside from weathering , finished .

12 Likes

That’s your brother line. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yup , old school Polish farm boys …

2 Likes

One last wall ad .

10 Likes

They genuinely look brilliant…so realistic :+1:

3 Likes

Some serious sign-writing there – how did you avoid paint-bleed into the gaps? Or was it a case of many touch-ups? Whatever, outstanding professional results :art:

1 Like

Thanks Johnny , thanks Tim !!!
Tim , no bleeding , lucky I guess . Everything was sprayed with a flat brown . Next , the large background squares [ yellow ocher , red ] were sprayed from a farther than usual distance at a 90 degree angle , straight on .
Then I just filled in the letters and shadowing which is where I did need some touch ups , no pin striper here . I’m old but have a surprisingly steadyish hand , the problem was the rough surface of the stones .

https://youtu.be/Mzcgyk62cHU?si=BcCsn8AyWkcGV9N5

3 Likes