Mitches 1/16 USMC Vietnam

The only reason it hasn’t bounced off the wall so far, is because the wife would have me redecorating it!:grimacing: Anyway, at thirty-five quid a pop, retreat is not an option! It will get done, no matter how long it takes.
G.

4 Likes

Carry on, soldier. :saluting_face:

3 Likes

Mike, the only saving grace to this kit is that the sling isn’t included! Going to use your technique for that. Whiskey bottle now retrieved so, probably not much more getting done tonight….:grin:
G.

2 Likes

This may save you some grief…it was very common (in units I served with), for 20 round magazines to be carried in bandoliers instead of the issue ammo pouches. Enjoy the whiskey!

3 Likes

:+1: one thing I did notice. It does state that the figure is US infantrymen which imply US Army and not USMC, imo. Might open up some options and/or look at the kit in a different light.

1 Like

Thanks my friend, that opens up an easier option. And yep, enjoyed the whiskey but not the headache……:wink:
G.

It does state ‘US Infantryman’ on the box but says ‘US Marine’ on the website. He’s also wearing a Marines flak vest too.
G.

2 Likes

Memories. During my post war service , many senior NCO,s wore their leftover Utes . They referred to them as herring bones . They were a very thin material. Unlike the the Sateens I was originally given. BDU,s came after. If I never see a spray can of starch , it,ll be a blessing.

2 Likes

Herringbone twill goes back to pre-WW2. When new the fabric was quite substantial. Probably a bit more than sateen utilities.

1 Like

Steve Reedees weapons are the best. No comparison! Some of the best weapons on the market!!!

1 Like

Been a bit busy just lately so, not much getting done. I’m a touch closer though, most of the construction and alterations are just about finished, so hopefully, I’ll start painting soon. Pictures speak louder than words so, here you go!

Starting to really enjoy this one now.
G.

6 Likes

All the details are making it pop without the paint. :+1:

1 Like

The soon to become sweaty wrist bands and the wounded knee are very nice touches. :hammer_and_wrench:

—mike

1 Like

Looks great so far! Are you planing to hollow out the birdcage flash hider? Might need to use metal tubing. Also, the boots look like you’ve got a seem as if capped toe design. If so that needs to be amended.

2 Likes

Still got a few bits to do yet. The crease on the toecap still has to be addressed as do the pouch fasteners. Not sure about the birdcage, it would look good drilled out but, I don’t want to make a mess of it either :flushed: It’s very fragile, I already broke the barrel, hence the styrene replacement (the only place on the casting that had a tiny air bubble in it!)
G.

1 Like

Make a metal birdcage out of tubing using the resin as a size guide. Don’t remove or reduce the resin part until the metal version is to your liking. No risk other than wasted time.
Have fun!

1 Like

Ok lads, I think I’m about ready to go to primer now. Bottled it on the birdcage though, my ancient eyeballs have failed me! The slots are about 1mm long at this scale! Anyway, have a look and see if there’s anything I’ve missed. Only the vegetation to do now. See you in another month or two……:grimacing:

Wish me luck….
G.

7 Likes

Good lord Laz, that’s looking really good. I like the pose you’ve adopted, very dynamic. It’s a little late now but the only thing that stands out for me is his grip on the rifle. To me, it’s an awkward place to hold. Maybe for your next one shoot for more of a hold around the upper/barrel nut.

All that being said however, I couldn’t do 1/100th of the conversion work you’ve done, so my hat is off to you sir!

2 Likes

I’m sure I missed it somewhere in this thread as I haven’t been on kitmaker as much as in the past, but wasn’t there two different types of treads for the Nam jungle boots? I had the Panama tread when I was stationed at Fort Benning in 87-89. When did the US change over ?

2 Likes

Thanks for that, mate.Got to agree on the rifle pose though . Unfortunately, that’s how the figure is sculpted. I just swapped out the original with the Reedees item.
G.

2 Likes