Mitches 1/16 USMC Vietnam

The first pattern was a Vibram sole. The Panama tread followed in the late 60’s, but did not entirely replace the Vibram regarding boots actually being issued in country.

As you know the Panama continued in the sand colored boots used in the Middle East.

I remember seeing Altama marketing all black “jungle boots” but didn’t know if these were actually an issued pattern or simply marketed for civilian and LEO use.

1 Like

I recall the Army authorizing the all black ones but I never liked them; they never fit me right. They also had a higher ankle with a padded collar at the top. Just never fit right, same for the all sand colored ones. The original jungle boots were one of the best boots I ever owned.

2 Likes

Were the black ones nylon and leather like the Vietnam issue boots… or were they the leather ones like these?

1 Like

Yes I had the all leather ones when I left active duty and went to the Reserves. Those became standard issue I believe. I liked those, they were comfortable and fit well (91/2 2E) and had the speed laces. They shined very well too. Just could never get the all black nylon jungle boots to fit right.

2 Likes

Here we go, lads. I do sometimes take notice of other opinions. You were right, Don. The rifle butt is now resting on his leg. Much more natural. Only had to redo his shoulder.

Much better!
G.

5 Likes

Lazarus- you have done a superb job of knocking this figure into shape- its been nice to watch it come together as, unpainted, you can see what you’ve been up to. I’m looking forward to seeing some paint on it.

1 Like

Aww dude, that’s why I said next time! I think it was worth the effort though, that looks much more natural. Can’t wait to see the paint on this.

1 Like

Couldn’t have left it like that. Imagine having to look at it forever, knowing there’s a big mistake there. That’s the great thing about posting here, someone will always point out what you miss. Thanks Don :beer::beer:
G.

1 Like

Evening lads, no, I haven’t forgotten about this chap. Just got a lot on at the moment (story of my life…). Made a start with painting the tree. As it is hollow, I thought I’d try and make it burnt out. See what you think?

Coated the inside with crackle paint, painted it black, highlighted it just a bit, then went over it with graphite powder. Black pigment to blend it in a bit. I think it came out ok. Still a fair way to go yet. Got the leaves & vegetation to do and I’ve got some vines from Joefix I’m dying to try out.
Made a start on Elmer too.

Mitchell pattern on the helmet cover next. Still undecided about painting the fatigues in ERDL or not. Jury’s still out on that one yet……
G.

7 Likes

That tree is HOT! :fire:

1 Like

It was! Cooled down a bit now though……:grin:
G.

2 Likes

Can someone remind me why I do this to myself?

Here we go again…….:grimacing:
G.

4 Likes

It’s not all about you. It’s all about for us. :smile:

3 Likes

That tree looks amazing Lazarus. You pushing the bar higher and higher !

3 Likes

Groundwork is starting to tick over nicely.

Only another million leaves to paint……:triumph:
G.

7 Likes

Don’t forget the snakes and bugs!

4 Likes

Snakes…… hmmm!:smiling_imp:
G.

2 Likes

Well the effort of all those scenery bits and bobs is sure worth it because it looks awesome!

1 Like

you are probably gonna hate me but i used to use dry herbs, i think it was oregano for the leaf litter. it makes a good substitute and once they were glued in position i gave them a coat of white spirits and then a coat of the colour wash i thought looked right after that.

1 Like

And maybe a scorpion?

3 Likes