Modeling Armor of Operation "Iron Swords"

Hello Robin, I was questioning the definition of ‘political’ as the assumption seems to be that a focus on IDF armor is somehow not political. Anyhow, I hear you that there’s another place for this discussion.
Bye for now, and have a good day.

1 Like

We modelers tend to look at the tools of war and bypass the moral debate whether war is a bad thing or not.
Others may consider us hypocrites for not taking that moral stand. A visitor in my previous apartment took one look at my display cabinet and commented: Lots of bad karma in there.
From a strictly moral point of view all models of military equipment are questionable, even those nations who haven’t been involved in war for centuries. Their current equipment might be going to war (Swedish CV-90 in Ukraine).

IDF Armor and the current mess: It would be interesting if someone posted images of Hamas armor :wink:

3 Likes

H.P.

8 Likes

I like to think the manufacturer’s name defines the model kit’s faction and allegiance. They are all little Tamiya’s, Ryefield Model’s, Dragon’s, Takom’s, Italeri, Meng, AFV Club etc. Factions by manufacturer name. They slug out their wars of attention getting internet likes, winning trophies at contests or as interesting items on the display shelf. None thing more or less.

2 Likes

I do sometimes struggle with the moral debate as my modelling focus is German armour of WW2. Simple reason, it’s more colourful than allied armour. But I sometimes wonder if I’m glorifying an armed force that caused horrific suffering on the orders of an angry little man. As they just sit in cabinets in my workshop though, with the only other people looking at them being my kids, I use them as a catalyst to hopefully teach them the importance of tolerance between different people.

Ultimately, none of the money spent on these lumps of plastic goes to supporting the Third Reich, so that’s the salve for my soul.

4 Likes

I think, that the other one also have reinforced tracks, because this vehicle recived several changes like new RCWS, Merkava wheels and new front fenders, so its look like this one:

3 Likes

The M113… 60+ years of worldwide service and still going strong!

3 Likes

100+ awesome photos, thanks for sharing :+1: :+1: :fr: :fr:

1 Like

You’re welcome Nikos :wink:

H.P.

5 Likes

Wow - the middle picture!!!
I have a Doobi in the queue so this one is nice, but… Does anyone have more information regarding the excavator? Is it Caterpillar 349? Any model in 1:35 scale for this IDF version?

2 Likes

Looks like an armored 349E indeed…

H.P.

4 Likes

Almost every tank in the photos has no .50 cal on the mantlet :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

Any idea on the markings? Unit ID?

The one on the HMMWV almost looks like a palm tree. It could just be a mudsplash too…

One looks like a 3 in a square, but I’m not up on my Hebrew and that could be a Hebrew character.

The one on tank 833071 looks sort of like a buffalo or a ram’s head or some other animal…

The source of the photos is:

1 Like

2 more.

Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 3.08.07 PM
Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 3.08.22 PM

3 Likes

Remember this old related thread ?

https://archive.armorama.com/forums/285982/index.htm

H.P.

2 Likes

H.P.

3 Likes

Looks like this M-113 used to have the “Zelda” spaced armor before, just by looking at the mounting points welded all over it.

Looking that the IDF Range Rovers used by the “Sayeret” Special Forces Units.

Accurate Armor makes a 3D printed model in 1/35 armed with a TOW Misiel launcher.

As previously reviewed in Armorama.

IDF Special Forces Land Rover Incoming | Armorama™

3 Likes

So. From all the pictures posted, we can see the following AFVs represented so far.

BATTLE TANKS
Merkava Mk-3 and Mk-4 variants

APC
Namers, Ofeks, a couple Achzarits and a whole mess of M-113s in multiple roles

SPG
M-109 in both Doher and Rochev variants, along with M548 Artillery tenders and M577 Command tracks.

SSV (soft-skinned vehicles)
Either HMMWVs or Land Rover Defenders (for the Sayaret SF Teams).

ENGINEERS
Cat D9R “Doobi” Dozers and Cat 349E Armored earthmovers.

2 Likes

Missing is the Ofek and Eitan.

Namers seen with the carpet system at the rear, too.