Modeling Armor of Operation "Iron Swords"

H.P.

6 Likes

Does anyone have photos of the attachment frame, that goes on the Namer, to allow for the towing of the Viper mine clearing trailer, please?

2 Likes

Surfboard ???

H.P.

6 Likes

Somehow, there’s nothing like a stripped-down Land Rover full of tooled-up dudes for saying “I’m here to ruin your whole day”…

Cheers,

M

4 Likes

Is that a surf board on the roof rack…

1 Like

Yea, that’s for after they finish ruining someone’s day! Or to put it differently, “Charlie don’t surf!”
Ken

3 Likes

More like “Achmed Don’t Surf”. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Actually, he does. Just prior to the Yom Kippur War the digs I was in had pretty international population with a high proportion of mature students, one of whom was an Egyptian architect. On one occasion he bemoaned the fact that when Israel occupied the Sinai he’d lost access to his favourite beaches…

Regards,

M

1 Like

Well? Achmed may have surfed in the past…

But now…

“Achmed Don’t Surf!”

1 Like

H.P.

5 Likes

H.P.

5 Likes

In the first picture above with the MK III head on. Is it just me or is the right hand track (facing) a bit towed in. If so, so much for getting dinged at AMPS for not having complete vertical alignment.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be logical if the tank is turning for the outer track to tow in a bit?

I know it’s been posted before but it a Great photo
Inspires me to make my 1/35 Puma AEV
I just need to find the pizza :pizza: oven for the top :wink:

4 Likes

Don’t really know, just sayin. Now that I look at the picture again it also looks like the left track is also slightly skewed in the same direction.

1 Like

H.P.

5 Likes

@Armorsmith @gtdeath13

I think it is caused by the perspective

The track width at the rear roadwheel, as seen in a picture, would appear narrower than the track width at the front road wheel if measured with a ruler on the surface of the picture (a photograph in a frame is a one dimensional image of whatever was in front of the camera when the picture was snapped).

Tracks narrow to a point in the far distance, the height of the power line poles approach zero, the trees by the horizon are shorter than matchsticks.

Now consider the track from the sprocket down to the first road wheel
Is it totally vertical?
The first road wheel is further away from the camera lens than the sprocket,
the laws of perspective will therefore induce a very slight toe-in in a photo.

Technical drawings add further complications (perspective view, isometric view, oblique view …)
Simple example:
main-qimg-b954a6ae2ef4a5a7eb464267d0ab3dff-lq
Further complications:

Back to topic.

4 Likes

Nice explanation. Although I do not think it is a matter of perspective. It is the way the tracks behave when the vehicle is turning and the forces applied. At the specific photo the tank is doing a right turn ( vehicle aspect as reference point not ours). It is the same as cars but the rubber wheels do not make it as noticeable compared to the tracks.

1 Like

I would not be willing to testify as to whether the tank is turning or not.
Whatever happens behind the first roadwheel is hidden in a dust cloud.
The dust cloud is indeed bigger on the left side of the photo but there
is no information about the wind conditions.

The track has more freedom of movement under the roadwheels than by the sprocket
so it may well cause the track to move sideways and cause toe-in and toe-out respectively.
Toe-out can be seen in this video

if one watches the right hand track (as seen from the camera) from the 15 second mark.

Edit:
“Is it just me or is the right hand track (facing) a bit towed in.”
If the Mk III is turning to the left in the photo the outside track (on the right in the photo)
would toe-out when the tank is moving left and the track is held back by the ground.
Left side (in photo) track would be toeing-in.
If the turn is made at high speed so that the tank is sliding/skidding to the right (in the photo)
then the left track would be pulled out, toe-out and the left side would be toed-in.
If both tracks look toed-in I think the only explanations are:

1. Perspective, happens all the time everywhere. It was a great revolution in art when they
    started applying this method.
  2. Major manufacturing mistake (Russki tank yes, IDF tank no)
1 Like

If the vehicle is turning to the left as we are looking at it then the sprocket will gather all of the loose track to the front on the right, this might then make it look like it’s toed in as the track will be bulging at the front. CVRT tracks do exactly the same.

2 Likes