Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

Hey Gary, did you serve? If so where?

“the rate of fire will be similar in all M16’s that use the same buffer / spring assembly. The receiver is the same. Weight is very little in difference. The one advantage is the over all length”

Buffer weight = “timing” and it does make a difference.

“*would a standard (generic) M16 been ideal? I doubt it. I’ve heard of them using M2 Carbines”

Are you saying they preferred the M2 Carbine?

You have not addressed the double standard. You have also ignored the fact that neither Bush nor Trump is at the helm… so why mention them? BTW, neither was in office when Putin invaded Crimea.
So how’s about we stick to the discussion of double standards rather than deflecting?

Now you imagine…

America is England’s political and economic ally. America invades Mexico. Full on military incursion deep into Mexico’s capital. Do you offer assistance to America?

Does backing the aggressor out of political ties make it ethical?

1 Like

Ethnicity is no excuse for Russia’s invasion. Those unhappy living in Ukraine should move to Russia… if they are even welcome to do so.

1 Like

H.P.

7 Likes

A slight misunderstanding seems to have occured.
I was saying that Russians in Ukraine are hating Russia for what Russia is doing in Ukraine.
The populations are mixed. Russians in Russia have Ukrainian (ethnic) relatives.
Those ethnic Russians that Putin claimed that he wanted to “liberate” are hating their
self proclaimed liberator. Not even ethnic Russians (outside Russia) are backing Putin.

3 Likes

I love that style of vehicle: high mobility, articulated vehicles.
I would build that if it was available. Great dio possibilities.
But its category highly overlooked by main stream model manf’s.
I think there is only one 35 scale of the BV and maybe two 48 scale kits of the warthog…

The whole point of offering Ukraine older Russian style equipment like T-72s, BMPs, and MiG 29s, as opposed to western gear like F-16s and Leo 2s is that Ukraine troops are already familiar with the equipment; they don’t need a lot of training (read time) to know how to operate them. Additionally, the Russians are supplying them with plenty of spare parts for these vehicles, scattered all over the country, see photos above and below.
As for being an insignificant minnow in a large sea, we all are!
Ken

1 Like

Dio idea if your not feeling detailing the top of your damaged T72:
Or this is Russian secret weapon, the underground tank?

FYI the body of the vehicle was not visible anywhere near the turret.

6 Likes

There’s also the American Gama Goat, recently kitted by Tamiya. High mobility and articulated but not particularly high quality and very, very loud.

I remember those,we had few in our unit.
1st sergeant got a foot stuck getting out and face planted getting off. I thought he was dead…

Check out the driver and unique CVC helmet…

Now that would be one to model!

12 Likes

You would get knocked back by the judges in competitions for it being “unrealistic” :grin:

4 Likes

It is the ‘Fat Lady Opera Singer’ driving:

4 Likes

It depends on the surface they have been running over. Hard surface, no mud, etc:

3 Likes

Like they say: “It ain’t over til the fat lady sings.” :notes:
:grin:

2 Likes

My thought is it takes time to train new crewman as replacements. 24 tanks in training means 75 crewmen every 12 to 16 weeks that means 225 to 300 trained crewmen per year. You will need to replace crew losses in conflict. That was why we could sustain our fighter/ bomber losses do to many schools turning out a lot of aircrews. If the armor school is out of country it cant be bombed and the tanks destroyed.

2 Likes

Good point! If the conflict goes that long, then both sides will have trouble with replacement crews.
Ken

read my post again. I said the same buffer and spring will give you a similar rate of fire

In the bush, a fifty foot shot is about it. It shoots a larger diameter slow moving bullet that just seems to do well in the bush. Power wise there’s not as much difference as you’d think. Add to this the bullet weight was well over double the 53 grain bullet being used in an M16. The M2 was also very reliable, and used a lot by both sides, so there was plenty of ammo. At fifty feet the shotgun seems ideal, and it is. Yet there are other issues. How many twelve gauge rounds can you actually carry? Ammo is also heavy for what it is. Then there is the number one issue; they’re noisy. SOG, SF, LRRP’s and some others pretty much carried whatever they wanted felt they needed for an OP. SF pretty much carried M16 and CAR15’s, but they were also not in the heavy contact business. They almost always had a big stick waiting in the background

I’m an I-Corp Rat class of 68. I did 15 months in combat, and spent the last nine months out on the Lao border here and there. Never been in the Ashau, but been close enough to look in there. Been as far south as Kam Duc. Still I spent most of my days in and around the Qeu Son Valley. Find a map and then find DaNang. Go a little south to Tam Key, and then draw a bee line west as far as you can go. My base camp was located about 800 yards east of the Hiep Duc Ridge line. It was all foot traffic or you flew from there. We’re pretty much due north of Mary Anne if that helps. I never was in the valley they built Mary Anne (thank God!). The first six months was over on the coast, and up and down Highway One. The first 45 days was near Chu Lai, but after Tet cooled off a bit we started doing leap frog strikes to the south and a couple up north. I guess I didn’t do a real good job with Tet in 68, as I got a redo in 69. 69 was a flat out nightmare
gary

1 Like

kinda reminds you of Hitler’s excuse for invading Poland
gary

2 Likes

Seen in Mariupol. Mobile crematorium. Now why would you need these?