Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

Modelling initiative. I don’t think any 2 are alike.

1 Like

What size missile does the TOS-1A launch (122mm)? And if i want to model a fired launcher what size styrene do i need in 1:1?

TOS-1A rockets are 220mm. In 1/35, that would be a tube with an inner diameter of 6.28mm.

1 Like

H.P.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!!. Off to my LHS for some styrene this week!

So an empty tube is empty (see through)??

Yes, it is.

1 Like

Because someone will surely ask: ZSU We are proud of you. (Zbroini syly Ukrainy)

2 Likes

But also with cutting!

1 Like

This can only be asked in Ukraine. But the person is not going there - he is reasonable.

PS And where is the modeling here?

You’ll get closer to scale wall thickness going with brass rather than styrene, assuming you can even find it in the correct diameter. You might even luck out and find a plastic drinking straw that will work.

1 Like

I’ve used straws for things in the past and have had to keep some as plastic straws are getting hard to find, which in my mind is a good thing.

2 Likes

H.P.

3 Likes

This is the weird two color BM-27 I asked about a while back in this thread. Two different tones on the one chassis. Could the paint really fade so differently in such demarcations? To me the rocket assembly seems like a different color to the truck body.

1 Like

It does look like totally different greens. It may be that the launcher was swapped from another vehicle that was a darker green.

2 Likes

Yeah that seemed to me the likeliest cause of the two colors.

Would continual multiple firings fade out the green paint ?? Only reason I ask is the mechanism on the side of the tubes, you can see the top part is still the green colour and it fades as it goes down ? And the steps as well ??

1 Like

Also what appears to be soot farther back. There’s a lot going on here. :mag:

Just came across this pre-war (2015) one :

H.P.

2 Likes

There’s some serious fade there…the section above the rear wheel is green but that’s faded as well …