Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

PZ-2000

strong text

posted before?
mobile hospital

3 Likes

t80s in winter camo moving in column.

A very timely release, 2S4 Tulip - Self-propelled Heavy Mortar System conversion PanzerShop | No. PS352296 | 1:35
1452602-38473-39-pristine

3 Likes

Another video about the Kovcheg Battlefield Medical Vehicle

Some info :
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraines-post-apocalyptic-looking-ark-eyed-as-battlefield-medical-vehicle

H.P.

3 Likes

Nearly a full kit as there is few left from the 2S3 donor kit.
Is this your build Kylie?

Olivier

Indeed. I bought the “combination” kit from Panzer Shop and received it yesterday. I figured I’d have a bunch of spares from the donor kit leftover.

I got the running gear and a few odds and ends from the donor kit and the complete resin conversion:

2 Likes

I have traveled and vitnessed many of the 30000 deffensive contructions done by germans during ww2. The Atlantic wall alone had 15 000 bunkers. German obstacles are made to stop you dead and they will last hundreds of years.

2 Likes

H.P.

2 Likes

Perhaps you missed the word rarely in my post. I’ve seen my share of German fortifications that still stand. I used to pass this one all the time on my bike in Berlin:

Not my photo but it had that very same graffiti back then.

“He who builds bunkers drops bombs.”

What we’re talking about in Ukraine, despite Russia’s use of WWI style trenches, is still a fairly fluid battlefield, not a defense against the anticipated largest amphibious landing in the history o warfare. Different defenses for different times. Even so, for being pretty sure of themselves (which Rommel was not) they sure spread many of their 59 divisions throughout Western Europe in reserve.

I agree with Rob here. The defensive lines/FEBA are very fluid and those concrete teeth are more than likely quick impromptu deterrents. Unless a Close target recce is carried out and they suss out they are only surface laid, a tank commander (single tank/ troop or squadron commander ) would avoid them like the plague once he had seen them. Sometimes a visual deterrent is all you need to funnel someone or something where you want them to go. If I had been in my Chally or CVRT and seen those through my binos, I would of immediately looked for a new route.

I agree with You on this. The teeth I posted were build in the east and I wanted to post them as a comparison to what the russians are attempting. Or rather how IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE. :wink:

were the Russian ones the surface laid ones ?

My first instinct would be why did someone put such shabby obstacled there in the first place. Is it perhaps a weak point in defence ?

My picture shows german ones.

1 Like

Like I said above, a tank commander, individual or Sqn level if he saw 3 or 4 rows those through his binos from say 1km away, he doesn’t have the luxury to worry about if they are surface laid or strongly dug in. He will just see an obstacle that will slow him down and possibly leave him vulnerable to air or ambush shoots - his immediate thought will be to divert to a safer more clear route.

And another point I mentioned is they could also just be a hasty defence to divert and funnel any enemy into a specific route or area and into a dedicated kill box.

So it goes back to possibly being just a quick hasty form of defence making a strong visual picture.

2 Likes

There is a video somewhere on YouTube of a Russian tank demonstrating how effective these are.
The tank hits the concrete pyramid with the centre of the front, not the track. The tank approaches slowly and then starts pushing the pyramid backwards causing the far edge of the pyramid to start digging in. At the end the pyramid tilts backwards and wedges itself under the hull front.

I would have liked to see the result of driving onto the obstacle with one of the tracks.
If the tank commander is not able/willing to drive into them full tilt then these obstacles have slowed down the movement.

If I had to slow down tanks out in the forest or a gravel road I would rough up the surface in a reasonably regular pattern. Is it a real minefield or not? Who wants to go first? Stop and investigate or stop and get mine clearing equipment in place? A tripod with a tube with a spike on the front aiming out over the “minefield”. Stand-off antitank weapon or a decoy? Who wants to test it?

2 Likes

Marines in the ZVO zone

3 Likes

H.P.

2 Likes

https://scontent-cdt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/316819203_457666289879162_4165893042383463231_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=FGIa80DAigcAX_pn7xv&_nc_ht=scontent-cdt1-1.xx&oh=00_AfCKm6ZskIvWqCnpwCph3k71sX3LNwmBq61MjmDqNYYxCA&oe=6388A109

https://scontent-cdt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/316668291_457666699879121_8335999325349291633_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Sf2CxNa3YCcAX9TKDgr&tn=r1OD1YsTaaqT1Z7z&_nc_ht=scontent-cdt1-1.xx&oh=00_AfBOhPGa7-N-RXDXQc96homkI-TlZNWj3Z4bEdrqB2cxOw&oe=6388492B

H.P.

2 Likes