Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

USSOCOM just purchased a bunch of the Air Tractor for light attack

If the vehicle has several alternative locations of a similar nature the overhead cover would mean a recon drone might have trouble establishing which (if any) it was occupying, leading to excessive muitions expenditure?

Regards,

M

1 Like

Drones can also use IR and fresh track signatures would be obvious in Winter. Any drone approaching would soon see if a position was occupied long before it reached an overhead position.

But multiple hides (thats a joke in this particular case) and firing positions are only going to work short term, although a tested tactic.

Has any military developed a quality anti-drone laser to destroy drones or blind the drone optics/sensors yet?

There are various anti UAV devices on the market, and in use out there already.

2 Likes

I have to agree with pretty much everything Khouli has gone through in his replies. And also looking at it from a Tankie perspective and a Recce Soldier.

A couple of other things to consider though.
Where is it it ? is it in or near the FEBA or a rear safe area.
If its in or near the FEBA, is that in a dense wooded area or is it in the edge of the wood ? Was it even built for that wagon or is it doing a cuckoo and using it for a bit of respite ?

If its a rear safe area … does he need to be in a hole in the ground, in a wood ??

And if its in a FEBA or near it, and being used as a defensive position, its pretty poor and pointless, for the reasons Khouli gave. Also, it has no real use as an ambush hide or shoot and scoot as if you look at the angles, that wagon is going to have to be fully out and tracks flat & hull up before it fires. Once its fired reversing is pointless unless he is going back into his own grave. And shoot and scoot isnt much better as by the time he has fired and kicked up a load of crap, started to move etc, a good gunner will have nailed him with a FIN round or an NLAW.

If that is on or near an Axis, then any good recce soldier will pick it very very quickly and either organise a CTR on it or just call in a fire mission if time is a factor. Same for a good drone Operator. The huge mounds of earth will also be a massive give away that something is there as well.

If it is any good for anything, it was having a discussion about it :grin:

4 Likes

H.P.

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

A question please for the T-72 experts.
I was going to try and get my modelling mojo going again after being ill with a simple build.
I thought it would be nice to do a captured T-72 B3.
On Attack On Europe: Documenting Russian Equipment Losses During The 2022 Russian Invasion Of Ukraine - Oryx
They list 3 sub-types, T-72 B3, T-72 B3 Obr 2014 and T-72 B3 2016.
Which of the above matches the kits available please?
I was looking at getting one of the following:
T-72B3 with 4S24 Soft Case ERA & Grating Armour, Trumpeter 09610 (2022)
T-72B3, Meng Model TS-028 (2016)
Russian T-72B3M, Meng Model TS-053 (2022)
All info/help gratefuly recieved thank you.

H.P.

2 Likes

Old T-62’s get reborn as BREM-62

2 Likes

Both Meng and Trumpeter will build into nice kits. Both should go together well. As to which version T 72, that is up to you. I think about every version of the T 72 B3 has participated in the war. Often the standard versions are modified in the field with add on ERA bolted about everywhere possible.

I would go with either the T-72B3 or T-72B3M from Meng. Both kits represent vehicles in use in the Ukraine right now.

Freshly Knocked out T-72B3.

Abandoned T-72B3M with KMT-8 Mine Rake.

I agree with @TopSmith; both Trumpeter and meng are excellent kits.

4 Likes

@TopSmith
@SableLiger
Thank you both.
I think I am going to buy one of the Meng kits,the Trumpeter one is not available in the UK ATM.
I can get the Meng TS-053 for only Β£3.00 more than the TS-028 version for Β£50.99.
The cheapest I have seen the Trumpeter one is from Poland at €72 + postage .

2 Likes

I have both kits on my builkd pile, plus meng made the V84 engine that goes on either kit, if you decide to leave the engine deck open.

2 Likes

The Meng T-72B3 is a fun build. From 2019:

5 Likes

Another battle taxi

H.P.

4 Likes

whatever happen to all of these?

3 Likes