Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

Yeah Ryan that’s what I used to think too. I bought two of their stowage sets and was very disappointed. High price for what you get, smallish items, mediocre detail, some poor casting. I promised myself never to buy Black Dog items again. I put them on that list with AEF and Alan. Then (this is years ago) Black Dog released a big conversion for the HEMTT to make the M1142 Tactical Fire Fighting Truck. One of my Grail builds. I saw it at AMPS and forgot all about my blacklist; it would be worth the work, I was blinded by the light. I threw my money at the vendor ($200.00!) and bought a HEMTT kit to complete the package. I didn’t open anything until I got home, I didn’t want to lose any parts. When I opened the Black Dog kit and inspected the parts, dry fitting assemblies and trying them on the HEMTT frame, and looking at the small parts and accessories, I got so angry I choked up. I felt like someone had just killed my dog. My eyes welled. This Black Dog conversion had poor fit, poor molding, small parts, sink marks, warpage, and poor detail. I estimated about 50% scratchbuilding required. Not what I wanted or looked forward to, especially for that price tag. I felt cheated. I boxed it back up and buried it deep in my stash, never again to see daylight. I’m not going to sell it - being an honorable man I couldn’t do that to a fellow modeler. Thankfully the modeling gods took pity on me and 3 years ago Trumpeter released an M1142 TFFT model that is exceptionally good. But that’s my Black Dog story.

4 Likes

I got that TFFT conversion too.
Haven’t inspected it yet but at least the HEMTT kit hasn’t been ruined yet …

Sorry to hear that Matt and I hear your message loud and clear.

2 Likes

Time to go JW.

2 Likes

Steer well away. The Biggus Dorkus’s conversion is dreadful. It uses the old Tamiya base kit which has the wrong tracks (they give you a crappy extension piece!), wrong light clusters, wrong engine deck, wrong driver’s hatch, wrong drive sprocket, The horribly chunky Idler needed for the poly cap, etc.

The BD parts have rear tailights that sit flush on the rear bed frame, when they should be mounted away from it and the outer housing should extend in front of the lens, not behind it, securing loops way too big and that hang way over over the sides, wrong shape on the rear deck part over the towing pintle, the deck is all one piece with treadplate, not anything like the real thing, it is missing everything behind the armoured cab, no mirror, etc. Note also it has the older tube frame on the roof.

(takes a beep breath)… and then there is …

Then there is their cargo Box??:

Some more pics for reference purposes:
The first is an older pic - Note the AS1 Leopard in the background.

5 Likes

Australian M113AS4 ALV, Stinger Models B34002 (2023) just wait until this comes out.

3 Likes

That does look like a great idea. Where does one get the regular AS4?

1 Like

Ebay :ok_hand: search Stinger models on Facebook, there is a link

2 Likes

H.P.

5 Likes

That last APC looks a lot like an Aussie M113AS4.

2 Likes

H.P.

4 Likes

4 Likes

With the extra road wheel I agree unless there is another version that does that. :man_shrugging:

Danish
https://www.armyvehicles.dk/m113g3dkext.htm

FFG (Flensburger Fahrzeugbau GmbH) also make 6 axle variants as one option in a modernisation programme

4 Likes

Just got one of these. Current issue has 3D printed tracks, complete hull, roof, ramp, front panel and skirts. Danish lights, etc. Includes 2 pairs of riveted or smooth road wheels as well as drive sprockets. Suggested donor kit is the Academy A3.

2 Likes

3 Likes

H.P.

6 Likes

H.P.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Somehow the article fails to mention the 82nd in Vietnam…