Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

Looks like a bed spring on top of the tank.

Spot on, IMEO…

If you were not provided the opportunity to partake it modern combat its hard to really comprehend.
Even large scale combined arms live fire training cant replicate it, no incoming fire, no fear.
The assault on every one of your senses is overwhelming, especially the noise.

The untrained & unmotivated cannot stand & fight, its just too much, seen thru out history.

2 Likes

It’s absolutely shocking how badly the Russians miscalculated everything. Did they really think they’d be marching down Khreschatyk in dress uniforms while deliriously happy Ukrainians tossed flower petals at them? Did they not see from the Americans that killing your enemy’s airfields and achieving air supremacy is key?
A major screwup on the tactical scale is having your vehicle recovery being handled by enemy civilians. A major screwup on the strategic scale is ticking off nearly the entire world, even Switzerland.

3 Likes

No military experience here but my as I see it Perhaps Putin was counting on weight of numbers to overwhelm the Ukrainians. Hard to believe that professional soldiers would embark on something like this unless they thought their chances of winning were very high. There is no question that Russian forces have not given a good account of themselves. If these are not first echelon units when are we going to see the A team? If the Ukrainians can continue to fight on despite the loss of key cities then the have a fair prospect of “winning.”

2 Likes

Yes.
Putin got bad intel from Yes-sayers who didn’t dare tell the truth.
High officials in FSB are under house arrest …

2 Likes

According to WSJ, Ukraine Mounts Counteroffensive to Drive Russians Back From Kyiv, Key Cities - WSJ

1 Like

If successful this might be a decisive turning point.

2 Likes

Sadly I never realized a Javelin or NLAW could turn a tank or apc completely inside out seen on many videos. Plenty of tanks w their turrets blown over, but wow devasting hits opening up equipment.

1 Like

Old army axiom:
If it can be seen, it can be killed.

3 Likes

it sounds like our HR Dept has been taken over by the Swedish army lol

1 Like

Modern weapons actually modify that axiom a little.
Swedish army wargames between a squad with anti-tank missiles
and a CV-90 with programmable 40 mm shells.
At night, squad is behind cover, CV-90 is scanning (thermal).
CV-90 commander detects a very faint plume of warmth rising
behind a small ridge. Orders fire with the shell programmed to
detonate after a specified flight time. Aimpoint 10 to 20 feet above
the edge of the ridge. Simulates firing 4 or 5 shots.
The judges consider the squad terminated.

Don’t need to see the target, just need to know the approximate location.

1 Like

@Johnnych01 i try to put myself in the shoes of a young Russian soldier.

I’m eating ration 7 years out of date and on an exercise that turns into a wat were I’m ordered to kill people who are supposed to be our friends. my moral compass will be pointing at “S” for Surrender.

officer: “how did you end up as a POW”

soldier: “well sir, the tank developed a mechanical problem, we all got out to fix it and suddenly we were surrounded, next thing you know I’m blind folded and tied up and on my way to a POW camp with hot food, hot showers and a soft bed”

4 Likes

One has to wonder if Zhukov, Vasilevskiy, etc. are spinning in their graves. It’s as if the Red Army has forgotten all the lessons of WWI and how to conduct deep operations.

1 Like

Just outta curiosity, with all the old equipment being used has anyone seen a pic of a 9P124? I know regular BRDM-2s are being used.

I am sure Ivan doesn’t care the date on the food. We started every field exercise with don’t eat x,y and z cause it was expired etc., we ate it all as there was no other options. I am sure they are same.

Every private in the Russian Army like all privates around the world when asked a question about x, y or z, I don’t know. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes the Ukrainians are using some. According to this site, they have lost 2 destroyed and one captured so far

2 Likes

H.P.

16 Likes

@Frenchy fabulous mate, well played sir !

2 Likes

Not to mention that the rations are stored in a controlled climate warehouse with periodic inspections required for after the expiration date. Rations do not go bad the day, week, or month after the initial expiration date if they are stored properly.

2 Likes

i’m loving these pictures of looted vehicles, amazing diorama potential there, thanks Frenchy!