Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

No armor here:

Different engine ? That’s a new one to me.

Engine is still a gas turbine, just different type. Visual difference is in the engine deck between M1 and M1A1. M1A1 added two access panels on the rear deck. The M1A2 still has the access panels as well.

As to using the Rye Field M1A1 1991 ODS version, it would need a lot of updating to get it to current standards. Some things that would need changing are the GPS (gunner’s sight box), track, smoke grenade storage boxes, bits and bobs around the turret, etc., etc… It would be better to start with one of the more up to date kits and leave off ERA and other items that may be in them.

Once delivered, we will be able to see which kit would be best to replicate a Ukrainian Abrams.

3 Likes

My bad, after rereading I realize Ryan was talking specifically about the suitability of the RFM kit.

1 Like

I wish I was that smart. I was under the impression one of the foreign exported versions had a different engine and that it was diesel powered. Of course I cannot find where I read that however this article says that has been explored in the past.

1 Like

Alternative Abrams powerplants (diesel and electric) have been explored, but never implemented.

2 Likes

Danish-supplied Eagle I Spejdervogn M/95 :

H.P.

3 Likes

Engine is the same. Access doors were so the crew could clean out the oil coolers without having to pull the rear deck. Early M1A1s did not have the access doors.
I think on the later versions, the engine/transmission were upgraded, to handle the increased weight, otherwise they are still the same old AGT1500 turbine.
Ken

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes

You can easily see the profile of a US made Humvee; the wheels are definitely M1151 Humvee.

1 Like

No surprise here : “The original MOWAG Eagle used the chassis and running gear of the United States Humvee, while the Eagle II and Eagle III use the chassis and running gear of the Humvee ECV.” (Wikipedia)

H.P.

2 Likes

So it’s basically the drivetrain of an ECV Humvee (like the Academy M1151), on a new armored chassis. You could use the Academy chassis tub, then build around it with sheet styrene or custom 3D print the rest.

1 Like

Taken from a video of :ru: armour allegedly heading toward :ukraine:

1 Like

:ok_hand:

2 Likes

H.P.

4 Likes

What’s next ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fr1MWNEX0AE2czP?format=jpg&name=large

H.P.

12 Likes

KrAZ-255B gun truck :