Models in films and TV

And possibly from one of my favorite old movies…“The Time Machine” from 1960.

6 Likes

Miniatures
a Horror Short Film with plastic model airplanes

Battle Ground
Nightmares Dreamscapes From The Stories Of Stephen King

Dolores
Film based on the graphic novel by Anne Baltus, François Schuiten and Benoît Peeters

4 Likes

I have an ongoing “Dioramas in Film” series on my blog. The latest one was on Grand Prix, which you can find here: http://creativedioramas.com/dioramas-in-film-grand-prix/

Just type Dioramas in Film into the search box for more entries.

Cheers,
Ivar
www.creativedioramas.com

One infamous model in the movies that comes to mind is the one in Battlestar Galactica. Actor Edward James Olmos (as Admiral Adama), in an improvised move, dramatically smashed the ship model his character had been working on for so long. While the move worked well for the scene, unbeknownst to Olmos the model was actually a borrowed museum piece valued at over $100,000. Yikes!

3 Likes

In Parks and Recreation episode 19, season 4, Councilman Pillner ( Bradley Whitford) has an interest in building ships in bottles.

Of course, Andy Dwyer (Chris Pratt) can’t help pulling it out…

H.P.

2 Likes

The dangers of not keeping everyone informed about important facts.
There was a very valuable guitar that got smashed in the making of Hateful Eight,

You wonder if anyone bothers to mention the props are rare and valuable before filming.

1 Like

Hmmm…that must be the one that Leonard Hofstadter (Big Bang Theory) thought he was bidding on when he bought the full-size prop on ebay! :grin:
:smiley:
re: the Time Machine miniature above!
Speaking of “Big Bang Theory”, other episodes feature a Lego model of the Death Star, various super-hero figures, and a “Space 1999” Eagle shuttle kit box at Howard’s and Bernadette’s apt., as well as some US and Russian rockets.

1 Like

Model building is sometimes used in movies as code for “mentally unstable”; here are a couple more:

in the 1975 Three Days of the Condor, assassin Max von Sydow unwinds by painting figures

There’s the1953 movie Niagara, where Marilyn Monroe’s psycho husband (Joseph Cotten) builds a model car kit

3 Likes

From Seinfeld:

And Two and a Half Men:

And of course the Sopranos. The first fifteen seconds says it all:

3 Likes

Sadly, too true…

2 Likes

Australian movie Malcolm (1986)

I remember watching this back in the 1980s.

2 Likes

Finally I have my contribution to this thread!
In the TV show Frasier season 2 ep 21 (Yes its a old show for me to be watching but I love it) Nines and Martin are building a model ship.

4 Likes

In Murdoch’s Mysteries Season 4 episode 6, Murdoch comes across a diorama of a cul-de-sac Toronto street and discovers evidence that a murder took place there :

H.P.

3 Likes

Now you’ve reminded me of the Fusilli Jerry episode.
https://youtu.be/FJ97I9u1i7M

1 Like

Was watching Jag yesterday,when Bud loses his leg in an explosion,Mac gives him a Tamiya 1/350 Enterprise model to build while he recuperated, only its been changed to the USS Seahawk on the box

That’s funny that they changed the name! Tamiya’s Enterprise has appeared in movies before, Tom Hanks was building one in Big.

Oh boy, Beaties in Crydon, that’s a blast from the past.

1 Like

Anyone mention the Adams Family?

Godber (Richard Beckinsale) making a Flying Fortres in Porridge series 3 episode 3 “Rough Justice”, March 1977. Fletcher (Ronnie Barker) and Warren (Sam Kelly) look on. Fletch jokes about Godber always leaving his aeroplane glue lying around, resulting in Fletch sitting on it and having to be prised out of his underpants. Later on Fletch sits on the model, crushing it.

2 Likes