Mountain Problems

Hi all,

As I’ve hit a slow patch on my ‘Carrier Crossing’ build I decided to give some thought to my next build, and to get the boulder rolling, :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:.

I have the Italeri 1/35th Staghound MK1 in my stash and have always thought it a mean looking armoured car, and read that its debut was in Italy. The latter tied in with wanting to have a go at modelling a rocky setting.

Below is a very rough sketch of what I’m imagining.

And below is the basic foam substructure.

As with my previous builds I am limiting myself to an A4 size footprint, with the height also being limited to an A4 size. Once the glue has set I’ll start roughly carving to shape before building up the rocky texture.

If anyone has any good images of Italian mountain roads from the 1940s…± a decade…they’d be greatly received, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

7 Likes

Great idea as usually. Look forward to more. I like the kit, slowly working on one myself.

Small roads like that don’t really change much with time so you might stretch the time limit to at least 70’ies-80’ies. Road signs would probably change more

https://www.ww2online.org/image/mountain-road-italy Those white side “barriers” could be an interesting detail

from Организованный горный туризм - amyatishkin — LiveJournal

Included for the rock face:

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

Hope all is good with you? :slightly_smiling_face:.

How far have you got with your Staghound build, and are there any trip hazards I should know about?

G

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your usual support in supplying some useful images, much appreciated as always, :slightly_smiling_face:.

I guess you’re right about not changing much with time…the main difference is likely to be the road surface and possibly materials used for bridges/tunnels, otherwise the natural surroundings will be the same.

Thanks again, and cheers, :beer:,

G

Hi G…
Trying to keep up? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:
I see the concept of yuor dio, but wonder if a waterfall across a path would hold up in real life? The path would wear down quite quickly, and for sure they would have left a gap in the road with a bridge crossing the fall?

Hi Erwin,

Keep up with you, never, :grin:…I doubt Taz, the Tasmanian Devil, on speed could keep up with your prolific building ability, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

You’re right about the waterfall, I found the following image which would make a great detail…

52817211_Moment

Tunnel and a bridge, though probably beyond my skills, and a lot to fit on an A4 sized base, :thinking:.

G

1 Like

G,

I am good. Might finish the Stuart if I get off my bum and paint some tools and figure.

I got pretty far.

The barrel and pe are from the kit. I don’t recall any issues as of yet. I stopped here because I am not sure 100% sure what I want (Italian campaign with then resin chain tires or post war Italian with some resin tank figures chilling on the ground/side) and how to make it look. I was thinking about leaving the fuel tanks off and I think that needs to be figured out to add the fenders which might be an biggest issue.

1 Like

Could you split each and just show a little of both?

LOL… and still studying for my next exam (passed one 1,5 weeks ago)…
For the structures, I might suggest balsa foam. Similar to blue foam, but sturdier and suitabel for this kind of work… They have several densities…

https://www.potterycrafts.co.uk/Products/amaco-balsa-foam/43016T

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

Glad all is good, as for the Stuart, sometimes it helps to take a break from a build, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Your Staghound is looking good, you’re way ahead of me, mine’s still in the box and on the sprues, :grin:.

I think it sounds as if you’ve given the post war variant more thought, so therein might be your answer, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Look forward to seeing some paint on your hound.

G

The tunnel and bridge could work. Just a hint of the tunnel portal on the inside of the curve, be the cardboard, and the beginning of the bridge arch at the other end.

1 Like

Only thing I dislike about that medium is how messy it is to work with.

Hi Ryan,

The splitting suggestion might be a good idea, I’d already imagined the tunnel to be split, and doing the same to the bridge would allow me to show the water below in more detail.

Thanks for the suggestion, and cheers, :beer:,

G

1 Like

Hi Erwin,

More exams…you sure you’re not 13 instead of the 30 you’ve been claiming, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Is that your work in balsa foam? I’ve seen some amazing stuff done with it, but it’s so darned expensive here in the UK, I’ve always shied away from it as I have images of an expensive mass of scrap…or should that be without the ‘s’, :grin:…at the end of my workings.

G

The same goes for the blue /gray foam. But penultimate it is the result that counts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi Robin,

I think you and Ryan have hit upon the most likely solution…possibly having the bridge blown and acting as an obstacle in lieu of the ‘rockfall’.

Thanks for the suggestion, and cheers, :beer:.

G

1 Like

Hi Ryan, Erwin,

Don’t mind the mess so much, I can do the carving outside, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Which is the best density for carving?

G

[quote=“G-man69, post:11, topic:1958”]Glad all is good, as for the Stuart, sometimes it helps to take a break from a build, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Your Staghound is looking good, you’re way ahead of me, mine’s still in the box and on the sprues, :grin:.

I think it sounds as if you’ve given the post war variant more thought, so therein might be your answer, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Look forward to seeing some paint on your hound[/quote]

G,
I take too many breaks as it is, just need to power through and finish something.

I am thinking about something like this with the figures hanging outside on the wall.

This is taken from the manual that is included and being used for discussion purposes only.

1 Like

The tunnel face should be more or less perpendicular to the road.
An angled tunnel portal necessitates a longer arch and that is not plausible.