Moving woes

Dont you just love it when you have to move house and the hobby room takes up more boxes than the rest of the house, and its not even halfway done yet

16 Likes

I know your pain. I have several copy paper boxes crammed with model kits, with some of the lids to safely move my completed kits, and i still have tons more to pack. :frowning:

1 Like

Commiserations, I had to do that three times 2017-2020 so I’m getting quite good at it. Each time there seemed more than the last. But sometime later this year will be a fourth move, Sydney to Canberra (yeah don’t ask) so this time I’m going to be ruthless. I’m still annoyed about a move back in 2007 when the removalists mistook a huge box containing a diorama of a ruined Stalingrad factory (approx. 100+ hours of work) for garbage – I only realised it was missing a week later.

8 Likes

I’m expecting to move by December. My models are pretty much always packed. I’m more worried about all the books.

1 Like

Have moved the hobby room and entire collection of built models from Japan to VA to RI and back to Japan. Nail-biter every time.

:beer:

4 Likes

Luckily im only moving south to north Brisbane, and driving it mostly myself. Ive done west to east australia and south to north. Luckily not much damage but there seems so much more to move now lol.

Luckily going from renting into our own house so i can set the hobby room out how i want it this time

6 Likes

Made what is probably my last move in 2018 NJ to NC,very stressful,lots of prep,but it paid off,moved some stuff in my pickup,while most went with the moving company whose owner was a friend…

5 Likes

Oh man Colin I feel for you. That must be the ultimate drudgery. I’ve lived in my current house 17 years and I’ve decided they’re taking me out of here with a toe tag on. It would take me months to pack my hobby room and books. I could shrink - wrap my stash in their shelving units for easy packing but there are 14 of them, I’d need a seperate truck just for the stash.

7 Likes

Had a similar pain when picking up the hobby room to install hardwood floors. That was one room. The wife will kill me if move the house and the hobby make up half the boxes.

3 Likes

We moved ourselves 1,000 km 21 years ago.

Two Ryder trucks, up a full three days. Don’t ever want to do that again. It was brutal.

3 Likes

Oh man, I am so sorry. That’s terrible. How could anyone look at something like that and think it’s “garbage”???

My sympathies.

4 Likes

I did a San Diego to Raleigh - 2,544 miles (~4,100 km) run with a full size U-Haul truck towing one vehicle and having my dad drive a second vehicle. I think it was 3 days, might have been 4. Off loaded the truck when we pulled into buddy’s house, turned in the truck and went to work the next day at 6:30 am. To be that young and dumb again. :joy:

Few years before we did a Chicago to Raleigh run with a full truck in 2 days, unloaded the truck and was hanging pictures in 4 hrs. This was Julyish timeframe, I had heat exhaustion bordering on heat stroke. :face_vomiting: Welcome to the south mofo.

Had a bunch of others moves, out on the gurney is the only one I want to do next.

7 Likes

My models packed up 2 years ago, 4 of the Pickford boxes on the right were my wardrobe and drawers packed up.
This is not including desk and desktop items

7 Likes

Thanks mate - actually I mis-spoke it was the move in 1997 not 2007. I’d kinda repressed my rage for the past 27 years until this subject’s come up & I hadn’t opened the relevant photo-album since. Blowing off the dust and looking at these pre-digital-age images, it all came back…

Anyhow I feel better now after a bout of crockery-smashing, every day in every little way etc.

To answer your question, to be fair a couple of the movers were young beefy Playstation 1 kinda kids – what they saw was a big open box with a lot of wreckage in it. Because I’d boxed and sealed everything else up already they didn’t know anything about the hobby or what was inside the taped-up ones i.e. smaller dioramas etc. Apart from I’d scrawled “Fragile/This way up” on all those…but not on the Stalingrad one because I thought it was frickin’ obvious with the flaps open. So they must have thought “well this is all crap, he’s piled other crap in open boxes too so let’s ditch the lot”. I’d left the tanks in too.

So I guess the moral of the story is - contributory negligence can lead to fatal assumptions. Label & seal everything and talk to your movers about it.

9 Likes

I feel your pain… 26+ years in the US Army with many, many PCS moves, each one involving packing up my modeling. A definite PITA!

7 Likes

I feel sorry for.you shipwreck. When i was in the Navy i didnt really have any stash or built models.

But the last 10 years ive moved 6 times from the UK to Oz then west to east and south to north. In that time ive had about 4 figures damaged so ive got off lightly i think.

At least this time im moving my kits myself.

Thank you for your service as well brother, even if you could never beat the British military in a drinking contest lol

6 Likes

Me too Mike, but when I recognized boxes of non-modeling stuff that I had moved three times and never opened, I tossed them.

3 Likes

Cheers to you and your service, as well!

Regards to that drinking thing, yes, we knew we didn’t stand a chance when the Paras started doing the “Flaming Zulu Warrior Dance”! Time to pay up the bar tabs and check out before the “Mud Puppies” (“Snow Caps” or “Snow Balls” I think to you blokes) showed up to restore order… LOL!

@SSGToms :: Indeed, the one bright spot in the process with regards to modeling - always a good opportunity to sort the wheat from the chaff!

3 Likes

Ahh, Moving I moved quite a Bit as an Army brat Europe, Hawaii, all over the States. lost a bunch of model kits and builds that way. It kind of stunted my modelling. And for me it’s DeJa’Vu all over again many many years later as we may be moving again albeit for the final time. The wife and I are ready to be done and we haven’t even started yet, however all my modeling stuff is neatly packed so at least that’s done.
Regards

5 Likes

Oh lord you’re giving me flashbacks I did and international move where 50% of my unbuilt kits were trashed then 5 subsequent moves storage etc all I have left are a select few kits that I’m saving for my grandson and I’m sure he won’t appreciate being given my AFV CLUB kits … :joy: even if my picture and name in on the instructions sheets :joy:

7 Likes