Mud Movers Campaign

Final photos.

I think I over weathered it a bit but it was my first time using oils so it was a great learning experience.

5 Likes

Hi All,

Nice finishes happening here, love to see it! I wrapped up my A-20 as well. Seems as of late I’ve had small wars getting my aerial lines to comply with my wishes, and this one was no different. Ironically, while shooting the final underside photo I managed to hit them and broke them. So for now it’ll sit in the cabinet with no aerial lines. Fortunately for this show you’ll all get to see how it’s supposed to look.

This has been by far the best 11.49 USD I’ve spent on a model! I picked it up the ATLCON, and it had a set of resin propellers (not used here, the kit ones were very nice), a set of tires and life raft (tires used, life raft to be used on my Duck), and some nice aftermarket decals.

Using 2 part epoxy I attached the wheels.

The marking I chose to use were for an A-20G-45-DO assigned to the 5th Air Force, 312th Bombardment Group, 388th Bombardment Squadron on October 25, 1944. This aircraft was nicknamed “Miss Priss”, “Miss Pam” and finally “Ready Teddy”. Assigned with the tail letter W.

Initially, assigned to 2nd Lt. Eugene M. Lopez who nicknamed the aircraft “Miss Priss” with the nose art of his young daughter holding a doll inside a heart. A scoreboard with a black background was painted on the left side of the cockpit with yellow bombs indicating missions flown and six ducks he collided with returning from a mission on January 7, 1945 to Clark Field that damaged an engine and the vertical stabilizer.

Next, it assigned to 1st Lt. John S. Young and renamed to “Miss Pam” after his daughter, with the same nose art with crew chief SSgt Joseph S. Wray, the subject of this build. Flying from Hollandia, New Guinea in 1945.

Finally, it assigned to pilot 2nd Lt. Clarence R. Schertz who renamed the aircraft “Ready Teddy” and changed the nose art to a woman in a nightgown with the background of the heart filled in pink.

The plane ultimately found its way to Morotai where in 1948 it was most likely scrapped. Kind of a neat little history behind the build, and to get all the marking on I used a combination of the original 1991 and Three Guys Replicas set. The old AMT decals did surprisingly well after letting them soak to get the extra glue off, they responded well to Mr. Mark Softner.

If you want a 1/48 A-20, it’s the only mold out there, I think it’s now owned by Italeri. I do know there are some aftermarket things that go with it, the wheel bays are pretty barren. Still for me it was a fun build that gave me an opportunity to do some SW Pacific Area weathering, and colorful decals make this a nice addition to my collection. Here’s a few pics, enjoy!

Thanks for a great campaign Mark and Michael, I had a lot of fun with it, and enjoyed seeing everyone else’s effort! If you didn’t make the deadline, fear not! You can always finish it up and show it off over at the Hangar Queen 11 campaign (shameless plug)!!

Have fun, stay safe!

4 Likes

Beautiful build, John! Looks Great!

Thanks Jesper! I’m thinking I could have faded the OD even more and it would be accurate!