My M60A3 TTS “Frankentank” build

Gino is correct, an A3 with TTS would not have any searchlight. The early A3 with the passive sight would have the newer AN/VSS-3 light. The old VSS-1 searchlight were mostly gone, even on the A1s, by the time the A3 came out.
Ken

This is the AN/VSS-3

1 Like

Hi Reynier,
Your M60A3 is coming along nicely. I had built a similar “Frankentank” using various parts from several kits:

One quick correction: Tamiya/Academy hull has these erroneous grab handles on the rear fenders, which need to be eliminated.

Kind regards,
James

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, @Petition2God. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Those were not grab handles, but footman loops to help secure the tarp on early M60s.

1 Like

1 Like

Excuse me, that was what I meant to say. Anyway, shouldn’t be there for M60A3s.

Yes it is, but the one used on the M60A1 and early -A3 had squared off corners, like this:

If you want to include the VSS-3 searchlight, the Academy kit should include one. It looks a lot better than the old Tamiya one!
Ken

3 Likes

Wanted to add a previous build of the same tank…

Added the Mine Plow from the Tamiya M1A1 kit and it came out great (in my opinion). Aber metal barrel, Eduard PE set, AFV Club workable tracks, and some minor Styrene details.

It’s supposed to represent a tank from the the USMC’s 1st Tank Bn; Task Force Ripper. Operation Desert Storm, 1991. While I was building this one, I read a news article that the tank used in the box art for the Tamiya kit, call Sign “Genesis II”, was restored and now resides on display at the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

2 Likes

Looks good. Not exactly the same tank though. The original one above is an M60A3 TTS, which was the last US Army version. This one with the plow is an M60A1 RISE/PASSIVE. It was the last USMC upgrade before they switched to M1A1s. The USMC didn’t upgrade to the M60A3, however they were given some from the Army to use in ODS as they were still transitioning to M1A1s and didn’t have enough tanks to go around. The TTS was about equal to the original M1A1 thermals as well.

2 Likes

I know. The RISE (Reliability Improvements for Selected Equipment) was a set of upgrades done to the A1. Mainly, an improved diesel engine and transmission, improved electrical system, Kevlar spall liners on the turret, passive night vision blocks for the driver and gunner.

The US Army had those for a while until they updated to the M60A3, then to the M1 Abrams; but the Marines kept their A1 RISE (P), until they transitioned to the M1A1 Abrams.

1 Like

I read that article while researching the tank i was building. It’s an impressive story. Definitely a worthy read.

Very nice rendition of the MASSTER scheme Ken, love it!

Terry

It’s not mine, I reposted a photo from @BootsDMS who did do a very nice rendition.
Ken

Wanted to update on the build. Just a couple subtle changes, nothing too groundbreaking.

8 Likes

Here’s the progress that I’ve made on my Italeri M-60A3 so far.

5 Likes

That looks Great. What color did you paint it in. Any extra parts ? Mine came with a second barrel that had a different looking muzzle.

The later Tamiya (USMC M60A1 ERA and M60A3) kit usually comes with enough parts to build either the A1 or A3. The barrel options is the un shielded barrel for the A1 and the shielded barrel for the A3; same goes with the gunner’s sight; squared for the A1 and rounded for the A3 TTS, plus thf wind sensor that goes in the back of the turret, behind the loaders hatch.

There’s also several aftermarket kits to upgrade elements, like the M19 cupola, the turret to replicate the early M60 “slick” and PE detail kits.

1 Like

I was in the 11th ACR when we transitioned from M551s to M60A1s in the recon troops, mid 1978. The tank company already had A1s. They were M60A1 RISE passives we just switched the AN/VSS-3 from the Sheridans to the 60s. The unit then traded the A1s for A3s in 1980 but they were early passive models. Nice job by the way. Also notice on a real M60 the side drivers periscopes stay up the middle one could be dropped for open hatch driving. Tamiya mistake.

4 Likes