My Rolling Stock Your Rolling Stock . show and tell thread

Hi KSO, thanks,

Yes, these are HO, white metal kits - I don’t remember who made them, this was a while ago - maybe a long while ago! :thinking: haha - with some scratch add ons - I think mostly pins etc to hold them together, etc , maybe a few extra braces and so on.

You make me think tho, building a variety of not so common kits, in all sorts of scales and materials, certainly helped me get comfortable enough with building/assembling things, to get into scratch work. In fact, I think the HO world also got me into dio building!

Take 'er easy -

Nick

3 Likes

Nick,

That is a fantastic layout segment. Your buildings and rolling stock and scenery - incredible. Thanks for showing us this - and saving it in the first place.

Are those Campbell structures and/or FSM?

I hope to someday attain a fraction of your skill.

Fred

1 Like

The R. Schramm MFG Co. building (left in picture) is a kit by FSM.

1 Like

Hi Rich, thanks for IDing it. If anyone would know these kits, you are the one I’ll ask. :wave:

Recent work ~ Just some fairly standard Bachmann On30 freight cars and add to that a bit of custom paint, lettering and some occasional added detailing:
They have all now been Rio Grandized! ~ And weathered with washes and pastels.

Decals come from San Juan Decals

5 Likes

For the moment this project is still just a photoshopped image but I have serious plans to section a Bachmann Coach and Combine together to create just such an On30 Motorcar:
(I am pretty good in the “chop-shop” department.)

2 Likes

That’d be an interesting project! :bulb: :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Railcar Loading Scenario:

A couple of Dragon flat cars and an old Tamiya Stug for something a little bit different.

• I have replaced the molded on decking on both cars with individually stained and distressed wooden (plastic) planks.
  • Both track and roadbed are originally the Dragon offering with additional ballast added.
  • Fritz my ground safety guide is the “Range Finder” figure from the original old Tamiya towed Flak 88 kit.

I have seen a derelict US flat car being used as a loading ramp in this manor (in Model Railroader Magazine) so I thought the same might be true in wartime Europe. This is the Dragon 4-wheel flatcar, shortened and with one axle removed.

4 Likes

Nick, how long is that segment you preserved?

Understand sentimentality. For some reason, way back when, I started saving certain parts from models I burned/stomped/BB gunned/firecrackered, and now I have bins of parts. Every now and then when I build an old model for the fun of it, if I find a part from the original, I use it in the new model.

2 Likes

I can’t wait.

Group, look what I found:

1 Like

Mike, these look great. I didn’t know you were a Santa Fe man. :upside_down_face: :crazy_face:

Long overdue to get some rolling stock for this dinosaur to haul…

:tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

whoa, I thought these were historical 1:1 ref shots until the last photo :astonished:

1 Like

Thanks mate, actually there’s another dead giveaway in the first of those images that still ticks me off I didn’t notice at the time…anyhow I still have dreams of blasting dry ice & smoke out of appropriate areas, maybe one day. A couple more from that session…

:tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

Don’t sweat it. I’m sure that Casey Jones will save the day! :steam_locomotive: :billed_cap:

Rock ‘n rail, buddy!
—mike

3 Likes

Tim - Did I find the right spot that was bothering you in that first photo?
It looked as though someone in a red shirt was walking into the righthand frame of the photo - I turned him into a barn.
(I hope I did it right? - just call me Casey)

Your lighting is amazing! I too thought these were real 1:1 scale images but that is what you have always excelled at!

Kudos and a Tip of the hat to you!

2 Likes

JPTRR - ?Question Mark?
Not so much into Santa Fe but I am into SP, NP and WP plus any Narrow Gauge.
With a bit of Great Northern thrown in.

1 Like

Recently got a FREE On30 Bachmann Mogul from the local hobbyshop. (Garish paint job and broken drawbar - easily repaired.)

Some partial repainting, some lite weathering and some repairs and it is ready of my living room “carpet railroad”. Lettering to come shortly.

I thought the original “1890’s” coal tender looked a bit too small relative to the very nice, rather chunky engine so I put together a drop-in oil bunker and added a back up light. (Non-working)

5 Likes

Tim - I would be hard pressed to INTENTIONALLY create that lighting affect. That “bright morning sun burning in over the top” of whatever dark object it was I was trying to shoot. (Though as a photographer I have had to suffer the real-life condition any number of times.)

To consciously create that affect in a model photograph is seriously impressive!

Again; Kudos to you!

1 Like