Mystery flavour Centurion Mk 5 - The saga continues

I think the light and sight cover actually went down the drain when I stripped it. I really need to get a mesh screen for the laundry tub.

1 Like

Alright, if I fiddle around anymore I’m going to do something silly so here she is in all her base colour glory. Need to tough up a small patch on the barrel, I think my paint mix must have been a little hot or I had thinner on my hand because a chunk came away with the putty.

6 Likes

That sure is a very nice color scheme, to bad it wasn’t used more often…

Very nicely done do far Don. Love the paint job!

It certainly is unique. Not entirely sure if was the best suited for the North German plain, but it’s a cool piece of history.

Great look Don! It almost looks WWII German.

1 Like

I think this tank is going to be from C Sqn. just so I can name it Cockup, but we’re making progress!

Tracks are on and look reasonable. They’re rustier than I’d intended, in trying to work the blackening fluid into the crevices I let them soak a little long I think. They got a coat of AK Dark Tracks as a result. I think some washes and dust will help blend out the rest.

Pioneer tools and tow cables are down. I spent far too long fighting with them then I’d care to admit, but I’m happy. The kit just has string for the cables, so I decided to replace them with some picture wire. But then I ran into the problem of the wire being decidedly less flexible than said string and not wanting to go where it belonged.

I also just don’t understand the relationship between the cables and pioneer tools to begin with. It’s probably a kit layout issue, but the tools sit smack where you’d want the cables to lay.

I can’t get a good sense of it because none of my walk-around shots have the tools and cables in place.

No matter. Again, I’m happy with the compromises I’m having to make.

I’ve got a clear coat down in prep for decals and weathering, but that’ll be on hold for a bit while I wait for some custom decals to get sorted.

Eventually it’ll end up in appropriate but fictional markings as the tank I’ve been using as a reference, being fresh from the paint shop, is devoid of markings.

10 Likes

OMG I just noticed this thread!!! Great stuff happening here. :+1: :+1:

Thanks Nikos!

As usual with anything I do that isn’t Tamiya built completely OOB, it’s been an adventure, but we’re making progress.

Sorting is right. This weekend I think I’ll be able to get some of your markings on paper and give them a test. I’ll use my FV4005 as the test unit!

1 Like

Dam, just found the thread.
One of the ones in the pipeline for later, with all the cents I have already done.