Naval Air Campaign

Wow that is insane for a carrier based aircraft. I knew she was a big bird but I was dumbfounded when it arrived the box was almost as long as the Graf spee box. I thought it would be close in size to my ME-262 but it’s at least twice the size.

Gonna have a lot of fun with this one I think

1 Like

Looks like a beaut!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s nothing. The A-3 Skywarrior and RA-5 Vigilante are even BIGGER!

3 Likes

While that is impressive sized aircraft, I think the drones are slightly more impressive…MQ-4 is 48’ long with a 130’ wingspan and height of 15’. The next tanker drone MQ-25 is 51’x75’x10’.

Not the sizes you think of when someone says drone to me.

The wingspan is gigantic! And it is basically the same length as the intruder. Aircraft always impress me. I think it’s because often we see them in the sky with no visual reference to compare scale.

When i got the chance to see an F-18 in person this summer I was blown away with how massive it was (checking last night it’s about a foot shorter than the intruder)

As I recall, the first time I saw a Hornet is was buzzing over my head at probably less then 200’. Could see the pilots helmet. Only heard it after they passed. They came from different directions, so I spun in a circle trying to keep up with the noise. That was a cool day, sobering later when thinking about if that had been an attack run.

2 Likes

A-5 / RA-5C Vigilante was the largest operational aircraft to continuously operate from a carrier deck.

Trumpeter do one in 1/48 but be warned you need to build a frame inside the fuselage to support all the plastic otherwise the top joint flexes, Nautilus Model if I remember the name correctly do an MDF skeleton. Yes it is large, mine is in the spray booth but you can’t maneuver it for painting, thankfully the wing tips and tail fold but I still can’t maneuver it for painting.

2 Likes

Given that one of my justifications for this campaign was the 80th anniversary of Midway, I really think I need to do the SBD. So this is likely to be my entry:

Looking forward to it!

5 Likes

in 1/30tooth. That ought to be a daunting build. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I doubt I’d be able to sneak that one on the shelf!
Somewhere I’ve got a 1/72. Can’t remember who by, but it’s either a rebox or clone of Hasegawa’s. Think it was a carboot sale find, had it for years. Decals are unusable though, have been giving some thought to painting it in one of the experimental cammo schemes. They carried minimal markings so do-able with what I have in my decal stash.
There’s a two tone green and blue grey scheme which looks very nice.

1 Like

I have two of the Trumpeter 1/72 RA-5C’s in the stash with some AM decal sheets, such a nice looking aircraft. I’m intending to build one as an A-5 which isn’t much to change, just a shame no one does the weapon launch tunnel and weapons / fuel tanks.

Mmm… could be tempted to build one after the little Piper.

1 Like

I really should try and get one of those.
Agreed about the bomber, would be a great addition. Such a unique method of weapon delivery!

OK folks, we’re live! We’ll run this one from today, April 1, 2022, till the end of the year (December 31, 2022). Once I figure out how to add a timer, I’ll do it. But meanwhile, on with the Naval builds!

2 Likes

Here is the current plan, the last gunfighter.

Since this also a local club build for CAS, it will have iron bombs regardless of the unit markings I pick.

4 Likes

Nice, Tank! Though, bombs on an F-8…

Oh well.

As I stated above, my build for this one will be the Trumpeter 1/32 SBD-3:

My start photo:

This one is a relative rarity in my stash, in that I actually haven’t started it! (Hi. I’m Michael and I start models and don’t finish them.)

The only after-market I plan to use is the decals. As per usual, Trumpeter’s aren’t up to it, particularly the national insignia. Luckily, when I built the SBD-2 I got hold of Yellow Wings Midway Madness sheet and the separate national insignia package, so that problem is solved. The rest of the kit is first-rate, possibly Trumpeter’s best 1/32 kit.

And now for my typical long-winded explanation of my plans. I have a long held obesession with the U.S.S. Enterprise, CV-6. As two of the heros of the Battle of Midway flew from the Big E, no problem. The question is, which one? B-1, Dick Best’s mount in which he sunk Akagi and nailed Hiryu is easy. The kit has appropriate side markings for it, so no problem. However, let’s face it. Everyone does that one.

The other Enterprise SBD pilot without whom the battle would have gone a very different way is, in my opinion, the CEAG, Lt. Cdr. Wade McClusky. This one will be a little trickier. His aircraft was, as far as I can tell, marked GC rather than with a number. I’ve combed my decal dungeon and think I’ve found what I need in the right sizes, albeat with a little creative cutting here and there. The other issue is that, according to my research, McClusky had a 500 lb bomb rather than the 1000 lb that’s in the kit. Now, I could swipe a 500 from my Trumpy P-47 razorback (which I don’t plan to arm with bombs), but I can’t seem to find any real solid pictures on how the smaller bomb loads into the SBD’s swing arm. I think I have a fairly good idea, but we’ll see if I want to try it out.

Luckily, since the two aircraft are the same except for the bomb and markings, I have some time to work it out. If I can’t get the 500 lb to work, I can revert to Best’s airplane.

So there’s the plan! But you know what they say about the best laid plans…

Off we go!

4 Likes

I get that……she is sexy in air to air configuration but we dirty the girl up pushing mud, she is a good olde county girl at heart. With the club build, I am not likely to finish two in the timeframe so I am maximizing where I can.

(Hi. I’m Michael and I start models and don’t finish them.) We should start a club or support group……I have way to many in that condition. :pensive:

1 Like

Hi all,

Here’s the starting photo of the Duck.It’s a more of a pig than a duck. There’s so many inaccuracies and lack of detail, its really just a model to stick on your desk, with the wheels up to hide the holes.

Well, this has turned into a dud. just going through the parts and there’s no tail fin.
So, it’s CAF Sea Fury, Twin Otter or Blackburn Shark.

2 Likes

Sucks about the fin… I vote for the Otter.

Oof, you also try to make a fin. Cannot be much worse then what Glenco would have done.

I could but that’s more effort than I want right now. I’ve wanted to build the Otter for long time, so I might be building that. Besides, all the parts are in a bag still. Bonus.

2 Likes