New British Army Cap Badges 2023

Just had this through from the powers that be regarding the new revamped Cap badges which reflect the change from ER to CR - “Charles Rex” -

From a secure source and for discussion and reference only.

7 Likes

Nice save to Brian @BootsDMS :grin: :+1: ----- I think it must be muscle memory or writing the other one so many times … Thats all I was ever use to … I still refer to the mounted guys doing a " Queens Life Guard" instead of the “Kings Life Guard” …

3 Likes

It’s the Staff Clerk in me John, 'just can’t help myself(!)

4 Likes

Lots of badges and logos will need to change …

2 Likes

Yeah, there will be lots of changes. Nothing has officially been done yet with the majority of the military here. The only ones who will be getting it done as a priority are the Household Division troops for ceremonial duties.

There is also a lot that should get changed but never does. You can wander around the London streets and see hundreds (if not more) of the old black metal street bollards that still have Victoria’s VR Royal Cypher (or Cipher) on them …

2 Likes

It doesn’t change often but in this day and age one might consider a more neutral badge and logo to spare additional cost on a change over.

2 Likes

Haha , thats far to sensible … But then we love our traditions and protocols …

3 Likes

Keeping the old stuff does give character and personality to a town.
I can understand Charles wanting to “change the curtains” now that
he is on the throne. We all have or have had a mum …

1 Like

As an FYI … I think its 43 of the 63 cap badges will need changing , then there are rank badges … regimental colours (flags/ Standards etc), service dress belt buckles etc etc … And this is just the Army … then there is the Navy and RAF …

4 Likes

Booming business for those who produce these things.
Business must have been slow the last 70 years …

2 Likes

How about “1st The Monarchs Dragoon Guards” or “The Monarchs Royal Hussars” etc…
That should future proof it all!
I’ll get me … :coat:

and removing the crown from everything lol …

1 Like

Round by us we have not one but two pillar boxes with the Edward VIII cypher on them! Makes a change from the George VI and E II ones… I’m all for layers of history, rather than a sanitized homogenous environment.

3 Likes

It would be really cool if some merry prankster made a pillar box with
a cypher for Henry the VIII.
Set it up outside ‘Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe’ in some small English town

3 Likes

never say never lol

2 Likes

Then there’s the units where a stay bright cap badge just isn’t the done thing, my old unit for instance. That cost will probably have to be borne by the soldiers themselves.

2 Likes