NEWS: New “Ukrainian Army” Vehicle models

Now the next question about Tamiya and the Ukraine War is… will they put out more of their older kits such as the Challenger 2, Bradley, or even T-55 or T-72 with added sprues or decals?

I hope not. I would rather someone like Meng, RFM, or another more modern company come out with updated kits of these vehicles than Tamiya rehashing their old kits w/a few extra bits and decals. I am not a fan of Tamiya as they are usually soft on details and over-simplified for my tastes.

2 Likes

I get your angle. Yes, I’d much rather see the appropriate Takom T-55 in Ukraine War markings, but the Meng and RFM offerings tend to be a bit more complex than I prefer.

I say I hope not, but based on their prior business practices, they probably will.

Fingers still crossed for a Meng M2A2 ODS-SA Bradley w/interior and in Ukraine Army markings, before I kitbash one together.

1 Like

Currently I would be happier with more armor on the top. Leo’s would hold their own with tank on tank. The drone plague is a great equalizer. Doesn’t matter if you have a T55 or a Leo 2.

And the answer is yes. They could have picked a newer version though. This is their old ODS version w/out of date T156 tracks, angled GPS box, lots of soft details, etc., etc., etc… It looks like all they did was add the Ukraine decals for a version we haven’t even seen yet. Good job Tamiya.

It looks like the same small decal sheet they threw into the above Leo 2A6 as well.

3 Likes

Looks like a cheeky money grabbing opportunity

4 Likes

Are you surprised? Low effort, easy money. I am sure the decision makers were jumping with glee at the opportunity.

3 Likes

not in the slightest … I am just surprised it took them so long once word got out that the different types of vehicles were being donated …

2 Likes

I’m sure they started working on it immediately. It takes a little while to get the new drawings and marketing together before they are ready for release. We will probably see a flood of “new” Ukraine vehicle kits over the next few weeks/months. My guess is that their old M2A2 ODS Bradley is next, which is also not the current version being fielded in Ukraine.

2 Likes

Yeah! I’d buy this hot mess of a kit just for the decals, then build it as a Desert Storm era M1A1. I wish Tamiya would’ve simply waited for a more accurate ID of the actual models being delivers to Ukraine.

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy such a crappy old kit for just the crosses and flags decals, both of which are really easy to make yourself. There are quite a few Ukraine decal sets available with many more useful and specific markings on them.

1/35 Ukraine Decals on eBay

2 Likes

I know; i’ve seen the decal sets from Star decals, and they’re far better than what Tamiya’s putting on their re-boxed kits. Just sayin’

2 Likes

So should we start a pool as to which Ukraine War Tamiya kit will be next? Challenger 2? M2A2 Bradley? M113?

2 Likes

Wow, this is simply horrible.
Maybe (most likely not but) they’ll update it before releasing because it says - a new product in the development

I respectfully disagree with most of you. Models like this one are good for the hobby and good for human civilization. Please give me an opportunity to defend those assertions.

Take a look at model reviews on sites like Amazon and HobbyLink. You will find that kits from Tamiya have far more reviews than models from other manufacturers, and that they are mostly positive. The reviews will very often include statements like, “Another great Tamiya kit”, “It falls together”, “Quick and easy build”, “Great value”, and so forth. Reviews for complex, modern kits from other manufacturers often include phrases like, “Too complicated”, “Parts too small”, and “Lost many small parts to the carpet monster”. For model kits aimed at skilled modelers, I often see negative reviews filled with real rancor because the builder feels he or she wasted significant money and time on a bad model.

You definitely will see reviews complaining about out dated or simplified Tamiya models, and reviews praising modern, complex kits for the many fine details, but based on number of reviews, Tamiya sells way more kits and receives a much higher proportion of positive reviews. In my opinion, this means that less skilled, less detail oriented modelers are purchasing those Tamiya kits and enjoying them. That is very good for the hobby because every single advanced modeler starts out in the former group.

While I admit the affect is small, models like this one are also good for civilization. The current war between Russia and Ukraine will have long lasting ramifications for everyone on the planet. The more people who learn about it, understand the causes, and assert pressure on political leaders, the better. To build a model like this one is to become immersed in the history of the subject. It is almost inevitable. If a young person builds this kit, does a book report on it or the war, that is a future young person with an interest in history. If an adult builds the model, the same thing happens and that person can vote.

I totally get that this model is not for most of us on Armorama because it lacks detail. Even though I have an interest in modern armor and the corresponding war, I cannot see myself purchasing it. However, in my opinion, models like this one serve an important purpose and I want Tamiya to sell a couple million of these things.

12 Likes

I look for somebody like Meng or Tamiya to do a Bradley very soon. The Bradley (one!!) had it’s first fire fight in the Ukraine a few days ago, and one did a job on four BTR4’s. Leaving one on fire and the other three had extensive damage. Never thought I’d jump on the Bradley bandwagon, but here I come!
gary

3 Likes

Tamiya kits are OK on a good day. Yes; some of their new WWII kits are pretty good, but their modern stuff OK at best. When it comes to the Abrams; I’m on the RFM bandwagon! Not at all sure about the Leopard, but the RFM and Border kits seem to be great (I don’t own any kits). Bradleys are still a black hole for me. I’ve read Gino’s post on the various kits a dozen times, and still don’t quite understand the whole scheme of things. I do have an Academy HUMVEE (1151), and can see me getting three or four more. The Tamiya kits look nice, but are hard to find in a LHS. I have an AFV M109a6 laying around that maybe right for East Europe. Plus I have several 105mm howitzers to look at
gary

1 Like

to build a accurate M1A1 HA or SA as its called now i think, you need to backdate Tamiya’s M1A2 SEP wth the TUSK to the M1A1 SA or HA ,a real simple and easy conversion to do
all you need to to sand smooth the APU/battery box in the left rear sponson and caniibalize a fuel filler cap from another Abrams hull and put it in the rear corner add the commanders weapons station from a earlier Tamiya M1A1 no its where it gets complicated Tamiya doesnt give you the blue force tracker box that mounted on the side of the gunners primary sight housingand the slave cable connector thats mounted on top left side of the turret by the smoke grenade launcher alos other options are the Ryefields
and Mengs M1A1HA

the Challenger II by Tamiya is the wrong variant you would be better off with either the Challenger II from rye field’s or the same baseline Challneger II from Trumpeter